Suggestions for college

Runner64

After thinking about it for quite some time, I think I want to become a paleontologist. Now that I have chosen a career path, it's time to start looking at colleges. With so many different options, I was curious if any of you paleontologists have any suggestions on where to go. Thanks!

If you were considering a Canadian university and I know a lot of American students who have studied in Canada I would consider the University of Alberta as a definite option. It has excellent undergraduate and graduate programs in geology and biology plus its proximity to the Alberta Badlands and the Tyrrell museum. Your not that far away from the Burgess Shale either. Good luck to you.

I know that the University of Utah and Brigham Young both have some sort of set up where students can work on paleontological digs at Dinosaur National Monument. I believe those are mostly grad students who get to do that, but maybe this'll point you at least in a direction.

Thanks to both of you for the help. They both sound like nice options that I'll keep in mind. I'm guessing most schools for paleontology will be out west?

I have no knowledge of formal education in paleontology, which might be useful to you. However, I do have the following suggestion which might provide you with some insights into what graduate level students are up to in at least one program. In the line course below (some of it is elementary, but all entertaining) the graduate assistants took the lead in presentations and also on the discussion boards. In that way you might engage them in an exchange regarding their experience in the training. It could be very useful if you are able to strike up a conversation with one or more of them. Dr. Curie, the prof also lectures, but is naturally much less "available" than the student assistants. Of course, as with any program, the real "story" comes from the students. This is only one paleo program and is heavily "dinosaur," however, you should be able via the online course to get some feel for the students experience at that institution. It's free, unless you want to spring for a "verified certificate." The course itself will only give you a peek at what's going on at this University, but interaction with enrolled grad students could be very informative.

I checked and there appears to be an iteration starting this Monday!

Coursera.com; Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology; University of Alberta

Edit: while I was two-finger typing bcfossilcollector endorsed the U of Alberta. Check it out. Good luck.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Not necessarily according to US News. Some look pretty close. Now these are graduate programs. Good luck.http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/paleontology-rankings

Thanks Troodon, I never would have thought about looking at those schools. They are pretty competitive and prestigious however. I will keep them in mind.

I have no knowledge of formal education in paleontology, which might be useful to you. However, I do have the following suggestion which might provide you with some insights into what graduate level students are up to in at least one program. In the line course below (some of it is elementary, but all entertaining) the graduate assistants took the lead in presentations and also on the discussion boards. In that way you might engage them in an exchange regarding their experience in the training. It could be very useful if you are able to strike up a conversation with one or more of them. Dr. Curie, the prof also lectures, but is naturally much less "available" than the student assistants. Of course, as with any program, the real "story" comes from the students. This is only one paleo program and is heavily "dinosaur," however, you should be able via the online course to get some feel for the students experience at that institution. It's free, unless you want to spring for a "verified certificate." The course itself will only give you a peek at what's going on at this University, but interaction with enrolled grad students could be very informative.

I checked and there appears to be an iteration starting this Monday!

Coursera.com; Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology; University of Alberta

Edit: while I was two-finger typing bcfossilcollector endorsed the U of Alberta. Check it out. Good luck.

Wow thanks for the info Snolly! I think I'm going to have to take that class this summer. I have finals coming up and have the ACT I'm taking 2 times over the next few months. It sounds like it would be helpful and even kind of fun!

Not all paleontologists study dinosaurs. I would guess the majority don't. Consider what area of paleontology interests you and find a school that matches. I've met paleontologists who came at it from geology and others from biology.

Thanks, I'll have to look through them.

Not all paleontologists study dinosaurs. I would guess the majority don't. Consider what area of paleontology interests you and find a school that matches. I've met paleontologists who came at it from geology and others from biology.

I'm mainly interested in Dinos and it would be awesome if I could work with them! But I do understand that most paleontologists don't work with them and am just as interested to study other past forms of life.