Vertebra Or Trilo Tracks?

jeremyh

Well first off I found this while fossil hunting in at CENSORED, in North East PA, USA. It was found near ferns dating from the carboniferous period. It seems to be a vertebra, but I was told that it may be Trilobite tracks. Does anyone where have any idea what it is?

post-1565-1240102174_thumb.jpg

post-1565-1240102247_thumb.jpg

They look like arthropod tracks to me, but whether the maker was a trilobite is hard to say.

Ichnofossils (trace fossils) can be hard to connect with any certainty to their maker.

Nice fossil, BTW!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They look like arthropod tracks to me, but whether the maker was a trilobite is hard to say.

Ichnofossils (trace fossils) can be hard to connect with any certainty to their maker.

Nice fossil, BTW!

Alright sounds cool! Does it seem to be from the carboniferous period? Also what do they typically sell for?(NO I DO NOT WANT TO SELL IT).

A clearer photo would be nice, but I agree that they certainly look like tracks and could be trilobite. I don't know what species are found in your vicinity, but the age seems to validate the possibility that they are trilobite. I've seen similar tracks on ebay and they are normally in the $12-20 range.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

$10 - $15, with good provenance.

Click on this link for an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Excellent-Trilobite-Tr...p3286.m20.l1116

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

it looks like a trace fossil, its blurry but at least i can tell its not verts

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

...I have some other coo finds from my my area that I cant figure out.

Bring 'em on! :)

Here's a couple more of Jermeyh's pictures of the fossil that he couldn't post for some reason. Looks like it's already been identified, but I told him I would post them so I'll just go ahead and do that :D

post-1553-1240109765_thumb.jpgpost-1553-1240109877_thumb.jpgpost-1553-1240109977_thumb.jpg

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Lol, well thanx! :D

The posting trouble is probably because they are huge files. If you resize your pics to 72 PPI with a maximum width of 800, you should not have any more problems in that regard.