Bakersfield 4 Day Hunt

FossilForKids

Well I got back today from digging in Bakersfield "parts of 4 days". These weren't day long digs because these days I'm in Bakersfield visiting my best friend who is extremely ill. He's also a digger, collector and online store owner. Anyway I was also scouting areas for the folks from the Netherlands who are coming next week. A word of warning as I have stated before the teeth can still be found but it is long hard work. Here is a photo of the best of what I got this trip so as you can see...the work is worth it. This area had two major color groups 1) the tan and manganese splotched teeth and a small pocket of fire zone teeth. No megs but the two larges are slightly over 2 and 3/4 and two of the Planus are 2 inchs and a third just a hair under. Also this was the largest concentration of cows I have ever found. A total of 4 for the trip.

Enjoy!

John

post-1292-1240204238_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1240204252_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Wow, awesome color on those teeth. That is one place I need to visit and do some hunting. Its amazing how some of them stay white after such a long time in the ground. I have seen pics and read plenty on how rough and tough it is to hunt there. You earn what you find.

Thanks for posting John.

I doubt I'll ever make it to Bakersfield, but it's good to know there is some good stuff up there.

Any tooth that actually weighs something when you hold it in your hand is one I'll keep!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Thanks for posting John.

I doubt I'll ever make it to Bakersfield, but it's good to know there is some good stuff up there.

Any tooth that actually weighs something when you hold it in your hand is one I'll keep!

Do you have any Bakersfield teeth. If not let me know I'll send you a few.

John

Wow, awesome color on those teeth. That is one place I need to visit and do some hunting. Its amazing how some of them stay white after such a long time in the ground. I have seen pics and read plenty on how rough and tough it is to hunt there. You earn what you find.

It can be very rough if it's an old hole. But if you have a feel for where the layer is then when you do start a new productive hole it is beyoud awesome!

Best wishes to your friend and his recovery.

I have no idea of when but going out there for a couple of days is a trip I hope to do.

Kevin Goto, Lafayette,CA.

All I see are sharks. Did you find anything interesting, like mammal material? =P

All I see are sharks. Did you find anything interesting, like mammal material? =P

I found a very nice tooth that we use to call prosqualodon ;-) I also found a couple of whale paddle bones.

Also Bobby if you want some mammal stuff from STH just let me know.

I found a very nice tooth that we use to call prosqualodon ;-) I also found a couple of whale paddle bones.

ah prosqualodon are very nice

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Great stuff, I'm longing to get back. How much overburden did you have to clear. It looks like you hit a sweet spot.

Nice teeth awesome colors I would love to dig out there I have only seen one bakersfield tooth in my life and my buddy owns it and laughs at me when I tell him I get some one day. love your teeth

post-1253-1240267383_thumb.jpg

Some really nice coloring on those teeth you have. The botom left tooth on the second pic looks like Nemo's dad. LOL a clown fish tooth :P

Really nice finds especially the cow shark tooth

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

very nice finds!

look forward to see you next week! :)

Be prepare for hard work but we should do well!

ah prosqualodon are very nice

I need your address again so I can send the Cheek teeth and I'll throw in a prosqualodon.

Nice teeth awesome colors I would love to dig out there I have only seen one bakersfield tooth in my life and my buddy owns it and laughs at me when I tell him I get some one day. love your teeth

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send a couple so you can laugh back!

Great stuff, I'm longing to get back. How much overburden did you have to clear. It looks like you hit a sweet spot.

It's anywhere from 3-5 teeth but there seems to be plenty of room to go horizantally. While the guys are working this hole I'm going to try to start another one for them. I didn't do it saturday or it will be toast by the time we get there next saturday.

John

It's anywhere from 3-5 teeth but there seems to be plenty of room to go horizantally. While the guys are working this hole I'm going to try to start another one for them. I didn't do it saturday or it will be toast by the time we get there next saturday. Iwas ther in Jan. 09 and it looked like noone had been digging for awhile alot of the trenches were caved in. alot of clean-up to get to the bone layer.

John

i love the colors on the STH stuff. the museum we went to today had a few very small planus that were very overpriced so i talked myself out of buying one. really nice stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Darn nice teeth FFK. I love them. My wife actually likes them. She is a hard sell. :o

Keep up the great posts!