Dugong Verses Whale Rib... Peace River

lissa318

Is there a way to tell the difference between a dugong and whale rib fossil based on coloring, size, etc? I am going through a bunch of Peace River bones and wondering based on obvious differences if they are different species. Or just mineralized differently. For example...

These (A)

post-8801-0-28926000-1452714013_thumb.jpg

Look very different from this. "B"

post-8801-0-58563600-1452714111_thumb.jpg

Edited by lissa318

From what I understand, high-denstiy and the presence of "growth rings" is a sirenian rib trait (though the rings are not always strongly evident). A fossil's color is not an indicator either way.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Cetacean bones are much more lightly constructed and usually have a "spongy" look to them. Sirenian bones are quite dense and solid looking, especially the ribs. The specimens you posted all seem to be Sirenian rib sections.

I'll second what these guys said - though some early baleen whales and Eocene archaeocetes can have sirenian-like dense rib histology. These are all sirenian ribs that you have.

From what I understand, high-denstiy and the presence of "growth rings" is a sirenian rib trait (though the rings are not always strongly evident). A fossil's color is not an indicator either way.

Cetacean bones are much more lightly constructed and usually have a "spongy" look to them. Sirenian bones are quite dense and solid looking, especially the ribs. The specimens you posted all seem to be Sirenian rib sections.

I'll second what these guys said - though some early baleen whales and Eocene archaeocetes can have sirenian-like dense rib histology. These are all sirenian ribs that you have.

Thank you guys so they are all unanimously confirmed as dugong. :) I appreciate it and have quite a few more but I'm sure they are dugong as well as they are all dense and many have visible growth rings. I was not aware that dugong bones had those and learn so much on here!

Boesse, I posted what was possibly a cervical vert (convex as opposed to concave) the other day in the ID section. Would you mind looking at it for me? I would greatly value your feedback on it. :)