What could this be?

Shemac102

• New Members

I found this on the beach in Jacksonville, Florida. I have tried to find out what kind of fossil it is by searching online but I haven't been able to find anything like it. Any ideas?

post-20498-0-33108400-1453043751_thumb.jpgpost-20498-0-66901900-1453043761_thumb.jpgpost-20498-0-58649900-1453043769_thumb.jpg

Can you get some side and end views?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's pretty bizarre; all that comes to mind is a hyperostosic fish vertebra, but it's not quite right.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I guess my first question would be what makes you think it's fossil material.... I'm not asking to be critical, but because I'm really curious to know what criteria you applied to decide that. I'll hurry to say, obviously, that I have no way to *exclude* the possibility that it is some small piece of a shell or a fragment of bone, but it has been so reworked and is so water-worn that I can't imagine anyone being able to offer anything that is any more valuable to you than the most remote sort of guess. It's certainly not an *entire* fossil, if it is a fossil at all. There's no doubt that it has an interesting shape, and I might be tempted to put it on the shelf just for that reason, but not everything can be identified. And a lot of the time, it's just a rock.

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

I guess my first question would be what makes you think it's fossil material.... I'm not asking to be critical, but because I'm really curious to know what criteria you applied to decide that. I'll hurry to say, obviously, that I have no way to *exclude* the possibility that it is some small piece of a shell or a fragment of bone, but it has been so reworked and is so water-worn that I can't imagine anyone being able to offer anything that is any more valuable to you than the most remote sort of guess. It's certainly not an *entire* fossil, if it is a fossil at all. There's no doubt that it has an interesting shape, and I might be tempted to put it on the shelf just for that reason, but not everything can be identified. And a lot of the time, it's just a rock.

Like to see more pictures and more eyes before we can say it's not identifiable.

Do a forum search For "Emmons fish tooth" and you will see similar fossils. They can be found at Point Vedra in your area. I would provide a link for your search but I'm not on my computer at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised somebody hasn't tried selling these things on FleaBay as fossilized dinosaur embryos. They look more like that than a lot of the other crud some people try to pass off as fossil whatevers on there. And I am sure there would be some suckers willing to buy them also.

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG