Mammoth Ivory and Importation from Europe to Maryland

dcampbell07

I'm thinking about buying a partial mammoth tusk from a company in Europe and was wondering if anyone knows the legality for doing this? Some of my questions are.

1) Is it legal to import fossil ivory to Maryland from Europe? (They say the fossil was legally obtained under CITES)

2) Do I have to let customs know before hand if I buy it to get it through customs? (i.e. do I need a permit or something)

3) Is it ethical to buy something like a mammoth tusk in terms of it not going to a museum? (I believe the tusk was fished out of the North Sea so a paleontologist probably would never have found it anyways is my logic).

Thanks!

Edited by dcampbell07

I'm thinking about buying a partial mammoth tusk from a company in Europe and was wondering if anyone knows the legality for doing this? Some of my questions are.

1) Is it legal to import fossil ivory to Maryland from Europe? (They say the fossil was legally obtained under CITES)

2) Do I have to let customs know before hand if I buy it to get it through customs? (i.e. do I need a permit or something)

3) Is it ethical to buy something like a mammoth tusk interns of it not going to a museum? (I believe the tusk was fished out of the North Sea so a paleontologist probably would never have found it anyways is my logic).

Thanks!

I do not believe that CITES applies to fossil Mammoth Ivory. CITES is intended to restrict sales of Modern ivory (like that from Elephant tusk).. There is nothing illegal or unethical about buying or importing fossil Ivory.

Now you may have to prove that what you are importing is fossil material, but that is about it. Here is an Internet statement that backs that up

https://gregcbrownblog.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/what-are-the-rules-on-fossilized-ivory/

I will be glad to see other comments.

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Just curious, is there a reason that you are buying one from Europe instead of the U.S.?

The dealer has the right piece at the right price.

Last year New Jersey passed an expansive law prohibiting the buying and selling of ivory in the state. The law specifically includes mammoth, mastodon and walrus ivory plus whale teeth. The point is, state law can be more stringent than federal law and it's smart not to assume something is universally legal just because it's allowed under federal law.

I doubt Maryland prohibits the sale or purchase of fossil ivory but it would be worth checking. I think most people support a ban on elephant ivory. Disreputable dealers I've heard will try to disguise modern ivory as fossil. I wouldn't doubt they do this. It's unfortunate because the sale of fossil ivory has no relation to the problems associated with the illegal harvesting of modern ivory.

Also, I doubt there are any ethical questions pertaining to European, particularly Russian, fossil ivory. Fossils so common would have little or no scientific value at this point considering the vast quantities which have been recovered. I suspect with the melting of the permafrost it will become even more common.

I would have my doubts about collectors or dealers exploiting scientifically significant archaeological or paleontology sites. But those are rare and most fossils obtained by collectors are beyond any special scientific importance.

Edited by jpevahouse
  • I found this Informative 1

Hi Dave, I received your thread....that's a nice fossil and the price seems fair to me for a "cabinet" display piece. I have seen a mastodon tusk from Jersey and plenty of walrus but not mammoth (which is common from other places like Asiatic Russia.) One of the fellows at the forum suggest fossil ivory is not legal in Jersey, but if the commercial clammers find something and are hot for cash, they often sell what they dredge up. 800 bucks is about right retail I would say. C.P. Sheridan

• 2 weeks later...

Ivory buying and selling is illegal in NJ and as of 2015 that includes all kinds of fossil ivory. Like everything else if there's profit to be made, legal or otherwise, someone is selling it. Usually law enforcement let's it go until they decide to make an example of someone and then they come down hard.

Edited by jpevahouse

I am curious on how NJ law enforcement is taking this. Has there been any example cases that test the law. Like a family hierloom that has provenance back 200 years that is now being inherited or sold as a result of an estate auction? You could certainly come up with a case where public opinion is against the letter of the law. I find it curious that NJ is deciding to override pre-existing personal property rights, with no grandfather clause.

We have something similar in Florida relative to Indian Artifacts (not human remains). Law enforcement tends to go after professional hunters or dealers as "example" arrests, but goes thru great pains to clearly state in Newspapers and other media that they are not going to ever pursue individual collectors and isolated finds under this law. Any of that going on in NJ?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"