Taking Tools on Vacation

PA Fossil Finder

Is it possible to take a rock hammer (I use an E3-22P 22oz Estwing) and a chisel or two on a plane? I know taking it in a carry on bag is probably out of the question, but is it allowed in a checked bag? My family and I are going on vacation to Phoenix to visit our relatives, and we want to visit at least one fossil site.

Stephen

Check it, and you'll be fine.

Have a great time!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A tip... if you are putting rocks/fossils into a carryon on the way home, make sure that they are not too big as to be possible weapons- I've never had a problem. Also, put them in a baggie at the top of the carryon so that they are easy for the TSA to take out for inspection since their x ray machine can't see what is underneath.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

These are good points made above. I have traveled all over the world with one or more Estwings and a satchel full of chisels in my checked bag. Repeat... checked bag. Carry On = hijacking tool = confiscation. I have also had a large rock confiscated form my carry on, as DPS mentioned. Happy Travels.

The Tucson Show is only two hours south of Phoenix....

Edited by jpc

Ha ha! Been there several times. Had to buy a cardboard box for $15 dollars in Cincinnati when TSA wouldn't let me take my bag of Ordovician fossils on as carry on. Nothing was bigger than my palm but they still said no. Luckily the folks back at the Delta counter took pitty on me and didn't charge me the extra $50 for a second checked bag.

I've seen mentioned somewhere on TFF a suggestion to mail fossils home when travelling. A flat-rate box through the post office is likely cheaper than taking rocks on a plane. Just pack them very carefully, and don't write "Fragile" or "Handle With Care" on the box!! I've been told that some mail handlers will deliberately be rough on packages so marked. One box I sent to Florida was apparently quite battered on arrival, although the specimens inside (mostly) came through intact. In general, I assume any box I send will be dropped at least once, and pack accordingly.

Enjoy the trip! Good luck hunting. :D

I rarely take a checked bag with me anymore if flying anywhere in the USA. I just stuff the carry on with essentials. If I need something at my destination I just zip into the nearest Walmart, etc.

Also, I will mail things home. It makes me choose what's actually worthwhile keeping.

Re the rock hammer...nice to have but is it essential? If visiting relatives you might improvise with a regular hammer, knives, etc. depending what you are collecting. I once stopped at a Goodwill store and picked up a meat pounder and butter knife for splitting trilobite shale at Amboy, California. Worked fine.

Last few trips I took, I zipped into Walmart and bought a 2 or 3 pound drilling hammer or crack hammer and the three chisel set for less than the cost of a checked bag. Then when I mail my finds home, I pack them into the boxes if they fit, or "donate" them if they don't. I usually buy a 5 gallon paint bucket too, but that gets left for the hotel maids to keep or dispose of as they wish. I usually double box the finds if I can. Hope this helps.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'd rather not have to buy a new hammer or mail rocks home, so I can just pack light and save plenty of room for fossils in my checked bag. :P

Stephen

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'd rather not have to buy a new hammer or mail rocks home, so I can just pack light and save plenty of room for fossils in my checked bag. :P

Atta boy! That's the way I always do it too. I've have had no great problems thus far, even though I do quite a bit of international travelling.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Last few trips I took, I zipped into Walmart and bought a 2 or 3 pound drilling hammer or crack hammer and the three chisel set for less than the cost of a checked bag. Then when I mail my finds home, I pack them into the boxes if they fit, or "donate" them if they don't. I usually buy a 5 gallon paint bucket too, but that gets left for the hotel maids to keep or dispose of as they wish. I usually double box the finds if I can. Hope this helps.

The last time I went to Maui I bought a new bicycle at the Walmart at the airport exit...something like $90. Rode it around for two weeks then left it where I was staying. Way cheaper than taking my own bike or renting a vehicle. I'm going to the Big Island in March and joined a local Meet Up hiking group. Folks are great already have offers of bike and all the camping supplies I need.

Anyways, with the Internet lots of ways of planning the logistics of a vacation.

Ditto have had no problems following that strategy. You should really consider jpc suggestion of coming down to Tucson to see the fossil show you will not regret it. 2 hours south on I10, show is just off the interstate

Pictures:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/60849-tucson-show/

Coming from the UK to the states US customs tried to take an Ammonite and Belemnite from me on the grounds that they are see food and not allowed into the USA.

I suggested that he try BBQ them but he did not have a sense of humour, finally his supervisor got involved and he let me keep them.

All in all a comic experience

Regards

Mike

Get your relatives hooked on fossil collecting then you'll always have tools available.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno