Terms and jargon a beginner should know.

Themaniac19

As I'm getting more and more into this hobby, I feel there are some things that people are referencing that I don't know about, but I should. If someone could compile a short list of common terms and jargon, that would be great. If there a link to a page about this stuff, that would be even better.

Thanks!

• I found this Informative 1

Here is one of the best sites for an overview of invertebrate paleontology including a glossary and references: http://paleo.cortland.edu/tutorial/index.html#phylumlist

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I will start with this one...

Formation.

In our world this does not mean a rock or cliff or stalagmite shaped like the old man of the mountains. A formation is a mappable rock unit. Mappable meaning that it is distinctive and covers a large enough geographic area. One of the characteristics of any given fossil is that it came from a certain formation. Formations are named after a local feature of some kind. A good waybto start to understand this is imagine (or google) the outcrops at Badlands National Park. These are the White River Formation. Now imagine a rock outcrop near your house. Try to list differences in your local rocks and the WRFm. This will help you understand that rock units can be described using certain words. One of the descriptive words is the fossils found in it.

The WRFm is an easy one to learn visually. Many formations are not at all so obvious. By the way, these things are also abbreviated in special geology code on geology maps. The WRFm is Twr on most maps where it is found (SD, ND, WY, NE, CO). T means tertiary, and wr means white river.

Hope this helps. ,oh, and if you start talking about european fossils, those folks don't use formations as much as we do over here. The rock nomenclature there predates the convention of naming formations.

Since the geologic timescale posted in the website with the link in my previous post is old and outdated you will also need the latest from the GSA: http://www.geosociety.org/science/timescale/timescl.pdf

Anyone have a good site for an overview of vertebrate paleontology?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

A GREAT bit of jargon to learn is "fossiliferous". I use it at least twice a day. Basically, it means full of fossils. Eg- "The local Tamala Limestone formation is highly fossiliferous." Its not an important term to learn but it sure makes you sound smart! ;)

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

There are dictionaries of geologic terms available. Even an older used copy will have the majority of what you need. Makes life easier when you just are not quite sure what an arenaceous limestone actually is.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for clarification of abbreviations, shorthand or jargon some of us use. Coco is always reminding us that many of our members are not here in the states or speak a different language entirely. One of the best parts of this forum is it's international membership. Viva diversity!

Edited by erose

I have taught fossil courses and BEFORE first class students are told to do what I was told to do as a student.

-learn the geologic time scale

-learn the basics of taxonomy

Lots of charts, graphs, etc. of these on line.

If someone doesn't have a basic knowledge of the above then it's like a student going into high school and not knowing his alphabet or simple arithmetic. Nothing makes sense and the student gets bogged down.

'After' learning these, then specific questions welcomed. An answer to an identity such as 'it's a Devonian inarticulate brachiopods from the uppermost Exshaw formation' gives perspective and makes sense.

Note...agree with JPC above...learn the concept of 'formation'. It's one of most important terms in paleontology.

May I suggest learning the difference between a mold, cast, & clast, "Leaverite" & keeper, Stromatolite & coral. Just to start.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

One of the most important things to know is that when you find a really great fossil, you should send it to me.

Just trying to help

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I recommend doing one these online Paleo courses. I've done a couple Paleo (or Palaeo, as we say in Australia) units at university and these courses are pretty much Paleo 101. Very good stuff. Except without the lab sessions where you examine fossils, and the field trips. But there is always a map and a local museum!

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

I’m currently writing an article about Taxonomy and nomenclature that applies to fossils.

But for a quick overview, this could really help you out:

http://english.fossiel.net/information/article.php?id=86&/Scientific%20naming

It gives you a good idea on how the naming works and it explains multiple terms.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.