Microscope suggestions for burgess shale family program

kristyp

• New Members

I'm doing a program on the Burgess Shale fossils for families and want to get some microscopes so kids and their parents can get a closer look at them. We'll be looking at some pretty intricate fossils like Marella, Ottoia, etc and so we will need a microscope that will show the fine details and subtleties of the soft-bodied creatures. Does anyone have any suggestions of what specifications to look for in a microscope that would be good for this type of thing? Any type or brand suggestions for ones that would be durable and not crazily expensive? Thanks for your help!

• I found this Informative 1

There's a lot of possibilities. :D First, go with a stereo microscope rather than a monocular.

I'll put in a recommendation for a Bausch & Lomb Stereozoom microscope, of any age. The one I have (Stereozoom 4) is over 40 years old, and with the eyepieces I use (15x) I can get between 8 and 45x magnification. I can also put a good-sized object under it, unlike with the smaller, higher magnification slide microscopes. Take a look on Ebay, there are several B&L scopes for sale now.

It's not a high-tech scope, but it's sturdy, easy to use, and gives clear magnification.

Good luck! :D

• I found this Informative 2

Video microscopes have come a long way and when paired with a high resolution monitor can work well with larger groups.

I would also suggest that you will need to experiment with the lighting. Those thin carbon films almost need to be rotated in the light to get the different details to pop out.

You also may need to rig the scope so that it is impossible to run the lens down into the specimen.

i've done many fossil programs with the public. (children and adults). You only need a very basic microscope with minimal magnification. The simpler the better. Certainly easier with Burgess Shale specimens. You mention that they are intricate but they are not all that detailed with any magnification over 10x.

Unless displaying microfossils it is much easier for most people to hold and move the fossil rather than use the scope to focus on one precise plane.

Little kids will get more use out of a good magnifying glass. Older kids about a 10x and still have some perspective.

I too would go with a stereo microscope(s) rather than the monocular type. I agree that a basic microscope would do as would a digital microscope both being inexpensive for entry level models. Check out Celestron's website especially as regards the latter. I do not know what region of B.C. you are working from but a college or university might loan out some of their older scopes? Good luck with the program, specimens from the Burgess Shale are so exciting!

I too would go with a stereo microscope(s) rather than the monocular type. I agree that a basic microscope would do as would a digital microscope both being inexpensive for entry level models. Check out Celestron's website especially as regards the latter. I do not know what region of B.C. you are working from but a college or university might loan out some of their older scopes? Good luck with the program, specimens from the Burgess Shale are so exciting!

That's good advice. I once borrowed a dozen scopes from a high school. Since then have accumulated 5 from thrift shops for a couple dollars each.

Inexpensive digital scopes (those sold in the science section of toy shops) are excellent for most uses. The issue of most scopes bought on line is making sure the software is compatable and remains comparable with whatever OS is used and the inevitable updates of that OS.

Edited by Ridgehiker

For a public display with kids I would go with a few lighted magnifyers (the stand type)Everyone can use on of those. People with glasses will have issues using a stereo scope and it is more complex than you need.

"Plugable" (the brand name as well as a description) digital microscopes available for around $35 on Amazon display nicely through a USB connection on a computer screen for an inexpensive start.

"Plugable" (the brand name as well as a description) digital microscopes available for around $35 on Amazon display nicely through a USB connection on a computer screen for an inexpensive start.

I second the recommendation for Plugable digital microscopes. If you want to see examples of what they can do, I used one for the photos in these threads:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56260-ray-tooth-family-sclerorhynchidae-from-post-oak-creek-texas/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56139-my-first-micros-from-post-oak-creek/