Crinoids, Crinoids And More Crinoids

crinus

Now that the world’s greatest Ordovician quarry is closed to collecting, I had to venture elsewhere. So, a couple of weeks ago I decided to make a quick weekend trip to a spot down south (before the weather got too HOT) that I haven't visited for about 3 years. The spot is very small and obviously not collected by anyone else. Last time I collected it, I got quite a few crinoid crowns. One thing I learned from the previous trip was to take every bit of rock that is lying about. I found crinoids at home that I did not see out in the field. Upon arrival I did note that there was a lot more rock that had weathered out and I started picking through it. Found some obvious crowns and so I load up the truck with all the rock lying around and what ever was loose in the bank. Too my delight I have many more crinoid crowns.

The first two pictures show a rock before and after prep (prep still incomplete). In the first picture there is no clue that the other two crowns are there. This is typical. There actually was no clue that the first crown was even there. I did a light air abrasive to all the rocks to decide what would stay in the house and what would be stored outside for more weathering. That is how I first saw it.

The next pictures are of rocks that I picked that have obvious crinoids on them.

The next pictures are of rocks that I have started to work on. Work is not finished but they are already quite showy. On the center pic, only one crinod was visible when I collected it.

Finally, we have a finished piece. Pics are before and after. I work on this one all day yesterday. That is an anal tube in the upper left and it is attached to a calyx which is visible on the back side.

There are many more slabs of rock in the yard with probably many more crinoids.

What a weekend! I actually only spent 3 hours at the site.

Omission of site information is intentional. The crinoids are Mississippian.

Guest solius symbiosus

Wow! You cleaned up. I too have found calyxes, from one of my favorites spots, after a little cleaning.

Who needs Brechin when you can get a haul like that. Great stuff Crinus

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Spectacular finds, and excellent prep work too, Crinus. That is some high grade stuff. I had to chuckle when I read your last line about omitting site info. I tend to have a little fun with this concept. I like citing the Arroyo of Anonymity as the source of many of my finds. But if you look closely at the finds found at this fictional locality, you'll see a mix of material, some obviously paleo anachronisms not naturally juxtaposed in a real field situation. Conclusion: The fabled Arroyo of Anonymity must course all through the state of Texas!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

HO-LEE-COW!

Mr. Crinus, that is fantastic :drool:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Great finds. Beautiful specimens. I love the before and after shots. Someday maybe I'll find a small secluded site like that one. I'll keep an eye out since I happen to live on top of the Mississippian.

Beautiful! Send me the rock you want to put back out for more weathering. ;P

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Who needs Brechin when you can get a haul like that. Great stuff Crinus

I do. Brechin was crinoids every weekend. This is crinoids every 3 years. Big difference.

I do. Brechin was crinoids every weekend. This is crinoids every 3 years. Big difference.

True enough. I don't have the luxury of being able to travel more than a few hours away, so it's all I have. Any idea when you'll be coming back up?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I have some crinoid slabs with some calyxes peaking through that I am getting ready to start prepping. The color of your crinoids is phenomenol, really pops from the background, did you do anything to enhance it? Is enhancing color an option? After prepping, do you do anything further to protect? All answers are welcome, as I am very curious before I start.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I have some crinoid slabs with some calyxes peaking through that I am getting ready to start prepping. The color of your crinoids is phenomenol, really pops from the background, did you do anything to enhance it? Is enhancing color an option? After prepping, do you do anything further to protect? All answers are welcome, as I am very curious before I start.

Brent Ashcraft

I give all my finished work a light spray of Krylon Clear Matte Finish. It just gives some of the sheen back that an air abrasive takes away. Doesn't change the color. After the Krylon dries I air abrade the Krylon off the rock. That gives it a little more contrast. Some people just spray the Krylon into a container and the brush in on the fossil, thus avoiding the extra step of removing it off the matrix.

Crinus

Crinoids make excellent pieces, and are very showy. I am going to search hard one day to get a full one of my own.