Protective Layer For Green River Fish

regainfreedom

Hi, I have recently got back from Japan and purchased some fossils ( Will be posting pics of them soon ). I happened to get my hands on unprepared Green River fossil fish and have finished prepping it. It's not that nice as it's my first attempt prepping fossil fish and scratch some fins off.

What kinds of protective coating should I apply to keep the fossil intact?

Does painting it with any type of clear glue do the job?

post-460-1240508374_thumb.jpg

post-460-1240508424_thumb.jpg

Not bad for a hand prep. I've done a few of those myself and you alway wind up with a few missing scales and scratches on the fins until you get the hang of it.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

you should use a matte finsih workable fixative. if that is not available use a matte finish clear spray paint. spray the entire rock. (18" layer fish, you should spray it into the lid and paint it onto the fish only not the rock. it ruins the contrast otherwise)

Brock

you should use a matte finsih workable fixative. if that is not available use a matte finish clear spray paint. spray the entire rock. (18" layer fish, you should spray it into the lid and paint it onto the fish only not the rock. it ruins the contrast otherwise)

Brock

Hi, I have bought a can of acrylic epoxy spray paint ( Dull Lacquer ). Is it safe to be use this as a protective coating?

Some of the green river guys coat the intire rock and fish with elmers, and ive done that before too, but I stopped doing that after I found out that the glue turns sticky when in high humididty areas. Ive used Duco cement cut with acitone and brushed that onto the fish, worked fine for me, then I started using Glyptal also cut with acitone and fell in love with that stuff. Works great for brushing on the fishes and lots of other stuff too.

RB

I use a thin solution of vinac mixed with acetone painted onto the fish, works good. You can see the results in my gallery.

I've used a lot of fixative methods... but the ultimate to me is this. Incredible results...

dsc00005j.th.jpg

I don't know if exists on USA... but maybe some similar, it isn't? That's a protective varnihs method used on pictures.. doesn't shine... ;) Or maybe you can get it from here... (Spain)

http://www.titanlux.com/productos.asp?id_l...352γ=1

http://www.titanlux.com/productos.asp?id_l...318γ=1

(bottom of the page)

Bye!

We use vinac and acetone too, you can see our results at www.olddeadthings.com

Guest N.AL.hunter

I don't know if they sell this over there, but I have used Future Floor Wax, a liquid, on Green River material with great success. It not only keeps the fossil together, prevents flaking, but also keeps the "chalkiness" of the limestone to a minimum. It will be a little bit shiny, but not glossy. And it is real cheap.

I don't know if they sell this over there, but I have used Future Floor Wax, a liquid, on Green River material with great success. It not only keeps the fossil together, prevents flaking, but also keeps the "chalkiness" of the limestone to a minimum. It will be a little bit shiny, but not glossy. And it is real cheap.

Hey Hunter, Ive never thought that before? That sounds like a great idea. I might even try that someday. I think I will do a little test first to see how strong it is compaird to my favorite (glyptal) stuff first.

RB

• 3 weeks later...

I use an acrylic paint,it is for the plaster of the inside walls,and it is a transpiring paint used with water,and with little amounts does not remain shining,does not leaf through in the time,and is reversible with water,depends if the surface is hard or soft,if the surface is sandy or too soft is not possible to remove the paint a time applied,given that with the water would dissolve also the soft parts.

->>>>> :)<