Where To Look?

stargazer688

So, as I said in my introduction page, I'm still relatively new to the exciting world of fossil hunting. That being said, I could really use yall's help.

I've been finding ammonites down near Benbrook Lake, and in a few rivers/creeks nearby. All the ammonites seem to be calcified (I think...?). Is this the norm when dealing with limestone layers?

I keep looking through the pictures on this site and seeing these ammonites that have BEAUTIFUL colors and details to them, instead of the white/cream color I'm finding.

Is there a particular place I should go look to find these (i.e. a different type of rock)? Or is it just that the colors come out once you clean the fossils and treat them somehow...?

I would really appreciate any sort of help with this!

Thanks! ^_^

Every deposit is going to have it's own preservational characteristics, and the superb ones are few and far between.

How far are you willing to travel?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Every deposit is going to have it's own preservational characteristics, and the superb ones are few and far between.

How far are you willing to travel?

yes you must remember that it depends on the minerals that are there. But there are always great things to find if you know where to look

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Most of the Texas ammonites don't have any shell material left on them. There are some, but I don't remember what formation they are found in. The really colorful ones (ammolite) are not found in Texas, that I know of.

I'm willing to travel a state over if need be... I love camping, so I'm sure if I found a good place to go that I could make it into a nice camping/fossil hunting trip. Talk about a two for one deal!

I was worried I was going to get the "not in Texas" answer, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Crawl around on Ebay and see where the different kinds of fossils come from.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Crawl around on Ebay and see where the different kinds of fossils come from.

Ebay has became quiet the research tool

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Ebay has became quiet the research tool

As long as you use it as a starting point; Google everything for verification (you'll be surprised where that can lead you!).

I'll hazard a guess and say that at most ammonite localities, the original shell material is not preserved. But that doesn't mean that an ammonite fossil has no value (scientific or mony wise or coolness factor).

If you're finding complete ammonites, shell or no shell material, jump for joy. You're doing good!