Mazon Creek Nodule Need Id

sweeneyb

I just opened a mazon creek nodule and have no idea what is inside it appears to be a concretion inside a concretion which are two different colors.

post-502-1240531378_thumb.jpg

That actually happens; the question is "what did the inner concretion form around?".

You're half-way to knowing the answer!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just opened a mazon creek nodule and have no idea what is inside it appears to be a concretion inside a concretion which are two different colors.

I find these all the time as part of the Cleveland shale formation, and consider them to be an aww shucks situation. Sometimes you can be lucky and find a fossil as the progenitor of the concretion. Yours probably comes from the Francis Creek shale.

In October 1937, Roland T. Bird and Barnum Brown unearthed a Mammoth/Mastodon near Argos Indiana at the Thompson farm. I can not locate where it is now. (see Bones for Barnum Brown; pgs 91-93)

"Quaerendo inventis"

Hard to tell from the pic but, it looks like just the outer shell cracked away. Could there be something still inside? I'm currently in the process of cracking some nods open. some cracked high up on the nodule and it appears there still could be something in the middle. Reminds me - I gotta pull mine out of the freezer. good luck

A lot of mine have cracked up higher on the nodule and fell apart but there still hard in the middle so I guess I just keep freezing them until something appears or there is nothing left?

That actually happens; the question is "what did the inner concretion form around?".

You're half-way to knowing the answer!

my guess would be a peanut m&m.

my guess would be a peanut m&m.

That same thing happened to me, i have pics. but dont feel like getting them now hahah, i broke open the concretion inside the concretion and there was a fern in there so keep doing what you are doing and we'll see!

Jake.

I had one nodule crack open last night and I thought there was nothing inside. But then in the low angle light of the evening I saw that maybe there was something just a few millimeters below and the crack just formed in the wrong part. So back in the freezer it went!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/