Is This Anything?

chainsaw

I was at work today and found this in some gravel hauled in along side a bulding, it looks like sand stone? I am not sure if it is anything at all thanks for any input.

post-1033-1240612096_thumb.jpg

post-1033-1240612111_thumb.jpg

post-1033-1240612124_thumb.jpg

kind of hard to tell. it looks more like limestone than sandstone to be, but not sure from the pics. the top pictures of the rock almost have a "dragged" look like sedimentary rock where a fault cause slippage against other rock and shaped it. the "peanut" nodule-looking pictures look like, well, kinda nodular. I don't really feel like the shapes are of macro fossils, but if it's limestone, it's probably made of microfossils...

sorry not to be more help but don't know. thanks for posting the pics, though. it's fun trying to ID stuff.

Looks like some kind of rock that has experienced selective dissolution. Some of the weaker parts were dissolved or worn away before the harder parts.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Looks like some kind of rock that has experienced selective dissolution. Some of the weaker parts were dissolved or worn away before the harder parts.

hmm, that may be a better thought than mine...

very interesting...and regardless of its veracititude, "selective dissolution" would be a good name for the wicked witch's of the west rock band. (i dint know where to put the possessive).

hmm, that may be a better thought than mine...

very interesting...and regardless of its veracititude, "selective dissolution" would be a good name for the wicked witch's of the west rock band. (i dint know where to put the possessive).

I've always been fond of "Phyllocarid and the Crustaceans" myself. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

... regardless of its veracititude, "selective dissolution" would be a good name for the wicked witch's of the west rock band. (i dint know where to put the possessive).

still hoping to hear what will come of your Screaming Hairy Armadillos project...

lots of marketing potential with a name like that.

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

Looks similar to some limestone i had identified on this forum a few months ago. It is called slickensides. Similar, but not exactly like mine. Due to calcite crystal growth. Maybe.

Looks similar to some limestone i had identified on this forum a few months ago. It is called slickensides. Similar, but not exactly like mine. Due to calcite crystal growth. Maybe.

I was also going to suggest slickenslides

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden