Ichetucknee

Mango

My dad is visiting from the Great White North. He has never swam in a spring, and thinks he would like to do so. i was thinking of taking him, and my family there tomorrow (Saturday). I was wondering if any forum members lived in the area and knew of the rivers condition.

We want to snorkel, and of course keep eyes peeled for fossils and other collectibles. It is a 3 hour drive with 5 of us (2 kids) in a mid size truck. Not a trip I want to make without a happy ending. I have tried calling the park for hours, but no answer.

If anyone has any other recommendations, they would be appreciated also.

Looking to get away from civilization, and hunt for the past while having a blast in Florida's beautiful wonderland.

I have canoes, kayaks and tubes which can open up more options.

Thanks.

Mango.

Pentax Optio W60

My dad is visiting from the Great White North. He has never swam in a spring, and thinks he would like to do so. i was thinking of taking him, and my family there tomorrow (Saturday). I was wondering if any forum members lived in the area and knew of the rivers condition.

We want to snorkel, and of course keep eyes peeled for fossils and other collectibles. It is a 3 hour drive with 5 of us (2 kids) in a mid size truck. Not a trip I want to make without a happy ending. I have tried calling the park for hours, but no answer.

Looking to get away from civilization, and hunt for the past while having a blast in Florida's beautiful wonderland.

Thanks.

Mango.

I live 20 minutes from Ichetucknee but havent been there in a while. I am sure the water level has to be back to normal or just slightly above. We have been getting rain but not that much. The last hard rain was about 2 weeks ago or maybe 3. It is really beautiful and crystal clear around the spring areas and gets darker to black in the outer areas.

I live about 3 or 4 miles away from the head spring. I would check conditions for you, but I'm out of town right now until Sunday. Tubing or canoeing/kayaking down the river is a wonderful experience for those who haven't done it before. If you're looking to hunt the past more than a scenic paddle, try the Santa Fe River...It's beautiful there, plus you can find stuff in just about any shallow shoal you find.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Are you allowed to collect the Itchetucknee? I think that most if not all of the run is state park.

Thanks.

Mango.

I take back my previous reply. The water level is very high and they will not allow tubing just swimming. (friend went last week and I called them today)

Water level is high, but not too high to hunt. Water near the springs was pretty clear. The current was moving much slower than when the level is lower. The park is still not allowing tubes in the river, but paddling is allowed. I think it helped to keep the crowds down in the springs today. Snorkeled the Blue Hole for a bit then paddled in the Santa Fe. The Santa Fe was also high, and dark. The water gave the bottom and everything in it a red color. Thought that was different and cool.

Pentax Optio W60

Guest N.AL.hunter

The Itch is all State Park, so I wouldn't get caught picking up fossils from it.... however, it is one of the most beautiful rivers we have done, so for scenery and snorkeling, sure do it.