Mineral replacement of teeth & shells?

JohnBrian

Maybe this has been posted before but I couldn't find it!

I was reading a commercial web site a couple of weeks ago & they made the claim that dinosaur teeth are the actual teeth. They said the original ("when alive") tooth material has not been replaced with other minerals, like what happens to bones. I Googled the subject but didn't find any answers.

BTW, unfortunately, I forget what site I was looking at!

Regarding mineral replacement on other fossils, I have a baculite that has a mother of pearl (aragonite?) shell. Is this "original" to the animal or is it a mineral replacement?

Finally, I have a spirifer (found it in a parking lot in Missouri last August) & the outside of the shell is colored brown while the inside is white. Are fossil shells the original shells or mineral replacement?

:zzzzscratchchin:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Interesting discussion,John.

Yes it is. Wish more people would get involved!

BTW, thanks for the link JohnJ!

Edited by JohnBrian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

Sometimes it's mixed methods. Fossilization isn't limited to one way or another.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?