Worth the price?

MarielleK

The trilo looks to be partially restored, and you could get better off other places such as DDUK, which offer trilos at great prices.

Not in my opinion. As mentioned you could purchase better versions of all of that for the same or less.

One item of note is the "fern-like" things under the thumb of the photographer. Image is not in focus but I believe they are dendrites, not fossils. Most of the other items are typical of fossils you could collect in Pennsylvania yourself for no more than the gas and time to get to the locations.

What is the black, somewhat rigid rock in the right hand corner?

It is a section of Calamites stem.

The individual items in that frame are 'pocket-change' specimens.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think you could do better on eBay. Fossil ferns are common, trilobites also, prices can be very affordable.

Edited by jpevahouse

Two of the spiriferids in the little box are from Ontario...might go for 25cents each.

However, even if a good economic deal, best to avoid fossils that don't have complete collecting info. This is foremost location. And a general label like 'Morocco' or 'Texas' is not a location.

Congrats on posting here first. Too often the 'what is this?'is asked after a specimen is obtained. I've seen over priced Dino and other fossils posted after the fact that are restored or completely mistaken identities.

Why does the trilobite partially rest on top of shark teeth? Is the seller trying to imply that the teeth are spines or legs of the trilobite?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Why does the trilobite partially rest on top of shark teeth? Is the seller trying to imply that the teeth are spines or legs of the trilobite?

I took it to be that the small teeth are just tossed into the riker for whatever reason, and gravitated into the depression created by the trilobite.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Most of the other items are typical of fossils you could collect in Pennsylvania yourself for no more than the gas and time to get to the locations.

This is very true. Pennsylvania is full of great fossils, and there are plenty of places that you can easily collect ferns and brachiopods just like those. The price of a good hammer and a few chisels is less than the cost of those fossils, and a good hammer, with care, can last many years of collecting! There are also plenty of fossil sites in the neighboring states that aren't too far from PA.

I took it to be that the small teeth are just tossed into the riker for whatever reason, and gravitated into the depression created by the trilobite.

This seems to be a very common problem with my riker boards, sadly :P

Stephen