Charmouth Fossil Hunting

Leedsichthys96

I am visiting Charmouth for a bit of fossil hunting this week, hoping to find marine reptile. Does anyone recommend a particular direction along the beach in which to search?? I.e. East towards Seatown or West towards Lyme Regis?? Thanks!

Hi,

In terms of fossil hunting at Charmouth either direction should yield some good finds. For the best chance of finding some marine reptile material I would recommend heading towards Lyme Regis. This is because this side of the beach is much more rocky and loose material is easily caught up in the foreshore. Also due to the rocky nature of the westward beach many people don't travel all the way along it since the walk can take it out of you so the further you go the better your chances. Of course make sure you can be seen by other people to eliminate danger but I believe the best marine reptile material can be found here. It is important to remember that marine reptile material is rare and even the keenest eye can struggle at Charmouth. It is more down to luck than anything sometimes however I would imagine you should at least come away with some nice ammonites. Marine reptile material is also often found by heading towards Seatown and the beach is a lot nicer on this side. In the foreshore you should be able to find some good ammonites and I would say you increase your chances by doing your research. A hammer is also advisable especially if you go towards Lyme Regis because fossils are often found in the rock nodules. The locals are also very friendly so if you want some expert advice on the day then don't hesitate to ask anyone. The men who run the Charmouth fossil shop under the Heritage Coast Centre are very friendly and you can rent a hammer from them if need be.

Good luck on your trip and happy fossiling!

One more side note is that the weather may restrict what you find. The best finds are often made following wet and scouring conditions because the rocks are weakened and the sea churns up all of the loose material. This is what I mean by the luck factor, if the weather and tide are both good then you'll have the greatest success. Although you can't control this, if it is raining I would still head out and brave it because you should come away with your best take. This means that, although it can be cold, collecting in the winter and early spring months can be the most rewarding. Just one precaution is that there has already been one large rockfall this year on the Seatown side of the beach and a smaller slippage just a couple of weeks ago. Although these rocks can have fossils to find I would have your wits about you just in case, although the weather has been good recently so there should be no danger.

Oh that's brilliant! So do you recommend that I look near the rock falls provided all safety measures have been taken, or look along the tide line? The foot of the cliff has been where I've found more material in other locations

The large rock fall happened over a month ago now so I imagine that it's probably been picked clean but there are bound to be some fossils people have missed. The way I like to tackle Charmouth is to first head up the westward beach to Lyme Regis and check the foreshore as this is where I've had most luck in the past. Then I head back up checking the base of the cliff. On this beach I haven't really found anything at the base of the cliffs. Then I head up the other beach the next day and again do the same. On the beach towards Seatown I have found more at the base of the cliffs by splitting rocks. Another small rock slip on this side of the beach last year allowed me to find 6 ammonites and a fossil oyster in the loose material. If you're staying for a few days then you can check out each section and see where you have the greatest success but from my experience on the Lyme Regis side look mostly in the foreshore and on the Seatown side you should do well with both the foreshore and cliffs.

Okay that's brilliant advice, I'll search black ven on this occasion then head over towards Seatown next time! :) done a few since I started university, Hunstanton in Norfolk (bivalves/Gastropods/belemnites), did one to Charmouth Black Ven last week but only really found ammonites, done Isle of Wight; Hanover point, Yaverland and Brighstone, found oyster, bivalves and an unknown Pleistocene bone! Do you know of any other good sites?

I've always wanted to go hunting in the Isle of White, went there on a school trip once and we were about to go hunting as one of the activities but there had been a storm the night before and we weren't allowed to go :(

One other site that is good is Bracklesham Bay in Sussex which is great for sharks teeth, bivalves and gastropods. Most of the fossils here are found on the foreshore and some of the best sharks teeth in Britain can be found when the right beds are exposed. Barton on Sea in Hampshire is also good for shark teeth and is a fairly short drive from Charmouth for a detour. For marine reptile material I can't think of a better place in the south than Charmouth so good luck on your trip, I go there again this year in the summer! :D

The thing with Charmouth and Lyme is sometimes there is just no bone about. If you don't find bone, chances are others wouldn't of found any either. You want to be looking in the shingle at the tide line to find bone. You can sometimes find bone sticking out the slips, but it's much more common in the shingle. Make sure you're familiar with what bone looks like as well. Especially the typical preservation of local bone. Knowing the texture and being able to recognise bone is important. Some bones such as paddle bones look like rocks, it's only the texture that sets them apart.

I will quite likely be out on Thursday. I may go out tomorrow but I've been ill and still have the tail end of it, so I'm not sure. Pm me when you're out and I'll happily show you around.

I always find the Isle of Wight to be harder to make a find but when you do it's really rewarding, there have been a lot of damage to the cliffs lately so many of the stairs down to the beach are closed. Thanks Koss1959 I'll be sure to look around the tide line with care, your advice is greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...