Removing fossils from boulders

LakeErieLady

I attempted my first fossil extraction yesterday with a hammer and chisel. I found a clam shell intact in a limestone Boulder. It looked like it would be easy to pop out. I used my chisel and assorted dental picks. It took me about 20 minutes and it came away fairly.cleanly, but it did suffer some minor damage at the hinge. I woke up this morning with a very sore arm and tender elbow. I must have done it all wrong.

There is another shell there that I want but it is much deeper in the rock and I did not feel capable or competent enough to attempt removal.

I googled fossil extraction but I can't find any tutorials. I would like to learn the proper way of doing this.

I was thinking more in general terms. Is there a proper way if going about fossil extraction? I doubt hacking away with hammer and chisel is the best method. There must be some sort of instruction.

As for the shell I want, my camera battery died and I couldn't get a picture.

The technique used for prepping is relative to the size of the specimen, matrix type and position of the specimen within the matrix. Sometimes just waking it out with a hammer and chisel is acceptable. But again, seeing the specimen would help.

Edited by Raggedy Man

...I'm back.

Generally speaking, you want to remove matrix from around the fossil, without getting too close to the fossil.

Some people carve a deep circle or square around the fossil, (Using chisel edge and hammer. ) then try to chip that square/circle out.

Keep carving until you have the edges deeper than the depth of the fossil.

Once deep enough, you can try to go in at an angle with your chisel to pry the weakened circle/square away from the rest of the boulder.

Some people cover the fossil with duct tape or masking tape, in case the fossil breaks, or shatters during extraction.

This is where experience can pay off. The more you do it, the better you get at it.

And keep in mind, allot of how you attack the problem will depend on the type of matrix you are dealing with.

Sometimes, the fossils are different enough from the surrounding matrix, that they weather out, or will pop out, with a decisive hammer blow.

Sometimes, there is not enough difference in matrix and fossil, and you end up splitting the fossil.

That is the way it goes, sometimes.

You need to experiment with what works for you.

Sometimes, you can use a hack saw to remove some bulk from a piece and then bring a smaller piece home to prep out a fossil.

This is preferable to free it from the matrix in the field, or indiscriminate "field trimming." I've found that 9 times out of 10,... if I field trim a piece of matrix, the fossil is broken, or worse - ruined.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Explosives, if you are good, you can put the fossil in the back of your truck, even at several miles.

Saws are a great option. They can be made from weed eaters, or drop down big dollars for a concrete saw.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Oh...covering the fossil with something would have been a very good idea. And I cut the matrix much too close, resulting in the damaged end. It was my very first clam shell too...I wish I'd practiced on a piece that I didn't wish to keep.

The sore arm and elbow are normal, assuming you don't do that much hammering in a regular day. Just using parts you usually don't.

• I found this Informative 2