Rock Identification Needed

mcurasco8

I was walking along creek bed in Central Tennessee and found this rock while looking for geodes. I can't imagine what it could be if anything. But I'm intrigued by the symmetrical indentation and shape. Any guesses? Thanks

post-794-1240972834_thumb.jpg

I've seen some corals and sponges from Tennessee that have the same basic shape but I can't tell if it's one of those or not.

i don't think that is a fossil. The picture is not sharp, but i think it is a fragment of a chert nodule. i see them all the time like this, circular with a circular indentation in the middle. I guess when it broke apart this fragment broke away from the center, leaving that hole or indentation.

It looks like some sandstone nodules that come from southern OK, that the locals call Indian marbles, but I have seen some the size of baseballs. All that is in these are loose sand. That is what yours looks like to me.post-498-1241047411_thumb.jpg

Mamma Betts, we have the exact same things found in the Dakota Sandstone exposures of NC Kansas. I also find leaf impressions in the same formation.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold