Inflating Skulls

32fordboy

Does anybody here know of any good recources about reparing crushed skulls? It'll be a while before I ever get to this project, but figured I could start learning early. The 'net doesn't seem to have any good info. Maybe it's just a learn-as-you-go thing. Thanks!

Nick

post-741-1241029649_thumb.jpg

post-741-1241029661_thumb.jpg

i am working on a chiolotherium this week. so i am glad you posted some pictures. to answer your question, it is a tricky job to reinflate a skull like this one. mainly because during the crushing the bones have been bent and distorted. so even if you move the individual pieces around it is unlikely that it will all line up as it did in life. but looking at you skull there doesn't seem to be too much crushing. only a little bit on the top of the nasal/ parietals. were it mine i would not try to reinflate it. i would prepare it free of matrix the best you can and restore any missing pieces.

nice skull

brock

i will try to remeber to post pictures of mine when i get a chance.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Right now I also have two nicer (than the crushed one) Chilotherium skulls to practice prep work on. Once all three are prepped, I'll sell one, maybe two. Here's a pic of my best. Do you know where I can find info on species as well? It seems I have two different species, but I can't find any drawings, photos, or anything. I'll try and get photos of the third skull tonight. Thanks.

By the way, don't be afraid to post pics of your project here!

Nick

post-741-1241031847_thumb.jpg

i believe these are aisan skulls. is that correct? the one i am working on is.

would you consider selling one of them unprepared? if the price is right i would love to add one to my collection.

Brock

Yep, they are from China (pre-ban). Usually the Gansu Province. You can narrow down the formation list by the color of the matrix. It's usually yellow-brown or red-brown. Depending on who you ask, there were anywhere from 5 to 18 different species of chilotherium. I think that has recently been updated. From what I understand, they usually are deposited in groups, which would explain why one of mine has a leg bone through his nose (pics to come).

I am interested in selling one, but will most likely prep them all first to see which one suits my taste best: the one with the best tusks (the crushed one), the one with the best cranial shape (post #4), or the freak with the leg bone in his nose.

Nick

Here are some photos of the nose-bone guy. At least that's what it looks like. There are enough differences I think he is a seperate species from the other two.

Nick

post-741-1241045989_thumb.jpg

post-741-1241045998_thumb.jpg

WOW that is way cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does look like a leg bone in there. I had to see it to believe it. Thanks for sharing.

Cool fossils!!!! Thanks for sharing!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Thanks for the compliments. Nah, the bone is staying in the matrix. I figure it adds to the value if it's left-never seen one like that before.

Brock, don't forget to post pics of your project B)

Nick

Inflating Skulls, Crushed Chilotherium

You could try lavishing it with praise... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 month later...

Yes, you have to ask yourself if inflating the skull will force you to want more for it when it's done than what anyone would be willing to pay. I have seen some very skilled preppers sell a somewhat crushed or lopsided skull rather than fix it because of the extra resources that would be involved (better to make a small profit than shoot for the moon). Most people who buy skulls are aware that most skulls suffer some distortion and a bad inflation can look as bad as a somewhat crushed skull.

If you still want to do it, you do need to find a good reference with good skull photos to get a good idea of the natural contours. Carefully remove what you can off the top and prep into the matrix to look for hidden pieces (time consuming and you might damage some underlying bone). You will need to determine which of the found pieces are not salvageable (too distorted from their natural shape) and which ones could be cut and restored to a natural shape. When you think you have all your pieces, you will want to do test-fits on a mold of Play-doh (or other soft clay) following the natural skull contours. This will help you see how much putty you will need to support the bone pieces in their natural positions and how much you will need to replace the missing or unsalvageable bone. As you know, some of the bone may not come from that skull. You might end up restoring much of the crushed surface. Again, it depends on how far you are willing to go to make the skull look more like it did. It's a lot of work.

Remember to save all your excess matrix to help fill in cracks/spaces later.

Good luck.

i am working on a chiolotherium this week. so i am glad you posted some pictures. to answer your question, it is a tricky job to reinflate a skull like this one. mainly because during the crushing the bones have been bent and distorted. so even if you move the individual pieces around it is unlikely that it will all line up as it did in life. but looking at you skull there doesn't seem to be too much crushing. only a little bit on the top of the nasal/ parietals. were it mine i would not try to reinflate it. i would prepare it free of matrix the best you can and restore any missing pieces.

nice skull

brock

i will try to remeber to post pictures of mine when i get a chance.

Yes, you have to ask yourself if inflating the skull will force you to want more for it when it's done than what anyone would be willing to pay. I have seen some very skilled preppers sell a somewhat crushed or lopsided skull rather than fix it because of the extra resources that would be involved (better to make a small profit than shoot for the moon). Most people who buy skulls are aware that most skulls suffer some distortion and a bad inflation can look as bad as a somewhat crushed skull.

Good luck.

Gotta agree with the above. This is a fossil, some distortion is part of the package. I have to admit this is a pet peeve of mine. Fossils are fossils first. Some prep when needed is one thing but in cases like this where it's pretty complete, I'd rather go with the way nature preserved it than a molded piece - reshaped just for aesthetic or commercial value.

But, that's just me... :)

Be true to the reality you create.

I'd just clean it very well, bond any loose parts with Paleobond, and ensure that all detail is showing using an airbrush. I personally would not "restore" it because a lot of collectors will Only buy things in its natural state and IMHO, it's worth more when it's not restored.

If you were to restore it, it's going to take a whole lot of time, some epoxy, some approximation, and basically you'll have to partially dissassemble, add epoxy to, and then reassemble the "crushed" area. I advise against this unless you're very experienced and even then, I wouldn't go for it. It's your piece though and you're welcome to try--I will assist you with any info I can if you want to try to restore them. In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth putting money and time into since it probably will not increase the value, but may decrease it instead :faint: