How To Clean Crinoids

MOROPUS

Hi, all!

This weekend I will be searching in a Lower Carboniferous place-Cantabrian-a part of lower Stephaniensean (in the spare time during a touristic tour through the region), specially abundant in crinoids, corals, among other things.

My question is: How can I clean crinoids on hard grey limestone? Acetic acid would be a good help, or only mechanical cleaning is prefered?

Thanks in advance

If the fossils are silicic, you can use acid, otherwise mechanical, in my experience.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

• 2 weeks later...

Through trial and error I learned that the fossils in limestone from West VA are not silicified and therefore the following will destroy them-

Hydrochloric acid ( Ie Muriatic acid Caution Toxic), Aqua Regia ( I am a jewelry store owner and was in a hurry- SEEMED like a good idea)

Oh and coating them with fingernail polish first does not help.

So back to my Dremel and dremel engraver. I find working wet limestone easier and when I get frustrated I put them out back and let the winter work on them.

Best regards,

Fosceal

• 8 years later...
33 minutes ago, FossilAndTreasureHunter said:

What ended up working? I am planning on using an engraving pen.

This thread is 8 years old. You may not get any replies.

You can start Your own thread to get better results.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, FossilAndTreasureHunter said:

Thanks. Most of the threads I'm viewing are many years old. Don't know why.

The Fossil Forum site goes back to 2007(?) and all of the threads have been saved. They are ordered by the date of the last post in the threads.

In the list of topics within a subforum the most recent activity will be on the first page, the following pages have progressively older threads. If it is one of the lesser used subforums it does not take long to get into old threads. Then there are the older threads that have had more recent activity in there also.

As for cleaning fossils, it is much dependent on the type of preservation and matrix.

If You post pictures and give a location it will help the people that reply.

Tony

5 hours ago, FossilAndTreasureHunter said:

Thanks so much Tony

What type of fossils are you looking at prepping or cleaning up?

2 hours ago, Haravex said:

What type of fossils are you looking at prepping or cleaning up?

East Tennessee hard, grey, limestone. Mainly Crinoids. And an object I'm not sure of.

Screenshot_20171105-222556.jpg

Screenshot_20171105-223232.jpg

Personally I would use a combination of air scribe and an air eraser if you have access to these tools, I would wait for further replies as that limestone might be silica and there for you could use a diluted acid.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 3:03 AM, FossilAndTreasureHunter said:

East Tennessee hard, grey, limestone. Mainly Crinoids. And an object I'm not sure of.

Screenshot_20171105-222556.jpg

Screenshot_20171105-223232.jpg

Hope it's not too late to comment, I see some crinoidy bits in this 2nd pic but the thing in the first pic I would be willing to bet is more of a trace fossil kind of thing. I don't see any of the structural elements (ossicles) that I would expect to see in a crinoid.