Help With Fossil, I Think

allison

It looks like crinoid stems, but you know what,I bet if you give it a polish it would make a great gemstone paperweight. It looks like some hard stuff but good color. :)

i like it. welcome to the forum. the rock looks like it has been water-worn quite a bit, and was therefore probably not found exactly where it originated. but you have some very old fossils there, and it's a neat specimen.

• New Members

It was found in Mad river in north west Ohio. The pic. on the right looks like there two different star patterns is it two different fossils?

Guest N.AL.hunter
It was found in Mad river in north west Ohio. The pic. on the right looks like there two different star patterns is it two different fossils?

Yes, you have more than one species of crinoid represented there. What you are seeing are the cross sections of the "stems" or "stalks" of crinoids. Just in case you don't know it, crinoids are animals that lived, and still live, in the oceans. They have, at least most do, long stalks with the main body part on top. You can Google it to see pictures of them.

Guest solius symbiosus
You can Google it to see pictures of them.

... or you can use the search function at the top right. There have been lots of nice crinoids uploaded to the forum.

That's a super cool find. I would love to see it polished.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

How would you Polish that? Rub it with some golabki and sauerkraut? :)

How would or does one polish these things?

sometimes you can find someone locally that will do it for you... check any rock or gem shops.

if you run some water over this specimen to see what it looks like when it's wet,

that will give you an approximation of how it will look polished.

because the white fossils are in a very dark matrix, it should provide a very nice contrast!

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

I was wondering if someone could tell me what this was.

That's a cool looking little rock. I'd go back to the spot you found it and find some more.

If they take a polish that would be really cool.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"