Some College Station Wood Rounds

silverphoenix

Did a little creek hunting yesterday--here's my finds after clean-up.

CIMG3503.jpg

CIMG3504.jpg

3 inches high--forgot to get a picture

CIMG3505.jpg

CIMG3508.jpg

CIMG3509.jpg

2 whole (almost) limbs now and a 3" section of another.

CIMG3510.jpg

Smaller is my find from the last trip.

NICE cores!!

I was hoping to get up there tomorrow, but the weather doesn't look like it's gonna hold - and my son has a baseball tourney!

Maybe in a couple of weekends MikeD can drag our butts up there with the kids.

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I just love pet wood! Thanks for showing me and making me jeoulus. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

NICE cores!!

I was hoping to get up there tomorrow, but the weather doesn't look like it's gonna hold - and my son has a baseball tourney!

O

Well y'all just give me a call when you feel like coming this way. I'll be out of town 17th-29, but before or after that will would work great. I think I'm going to hit this creek near me again tomorrow since it's 3 minutes away--I'll let you know if I find anything else--it seems like I'm always overlooking something!

Very nice detail in the pieces , good find .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

More square wood! I swear you Texans are just picking up the fence posts now and calling them petrified. :huh?:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

NICE cores!!

O

Those are nice, leave some for me. :D

Hey O, Texoma is likely my next chance to go anywhere (but who knows), with a side trip to Post Oak Creek. Not sure where we are going the following day.

Those are nice, leave some for me. :D

Hey O, Texoma is likely my next chance to go anywhere (but who knows), with a side trip to Post Oak Creek. Not sure where we are going the following day.

Hopefully things will dry out and the water level on Texoma will start to drop again...

POC should be good though. Gotta try a new spot and will drag you there, too. O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

There's plenty of wood left :D There's a couple of spots where I know for sure that there were some nice pieces deposited---they're just under water right now...

If y'all would have me, I'd be interested in checking Texoma and POC when things get drier. I'll keep y'all updated on the water level here--it's already dropped by an inch at the creek near me.