I Have A Question About A Lopha.

jpbowden

I have found what may be two Lopha comalensis and can find very little information on them. They are both complete and were found years ago near San Marcus this was in 1965, (they were working on the Canyon Lake area), this to the thinking they were Lopha subovata. Wow, I was almost 16 with my Grandpa, horse backing that part of the country then!

Thanks

Pat

I have found what may be two Lopha comalensis and can find very little information on them. They are both complete and were found years ago near San Marcus this was in 1965, (they were working on the Canyon Lake area), this to the thinking they were Lopha subovata. Wow, I was almost 16 with my Grandpa, horse backing that part of the country then!

Thanks

Pat

Can we see pics????

Sorry, I have packed them up because we are moving, yes my wife got the last word. <_< This question came up because BobC and I went for a road trip yesterday and I found a nice Lopha subovata, which was a nice surprise. But anyway that's when I realized that the one just found was a subovata and the other was not. The one I suspect to be an comalensis has high sharp radial plicate ridges. This is all I ca tell you for now.

I am gonna surmise the lake area is either Glen Rose fm. or Fredericksburg.

I am gonna surmise the lake area is either Glen Rose fm. or Fredericksburg.

Lance you got the crud man, ooow get well. I think it was Glen Rose, its just at this time young and dumb and all, dawg not mush has changed but the age thing :(

jpbowden,

I'm going to have to start calling you "The King of Oysters". Most folks just stub their toe's on those things, cuss, and go on to look for a shark tooth.

The only Lopha I ever found in Texas was the Lopha travisana from the Austin Chalk. See pic's below. The Lopha comalensis is a Glen Rose formation oyster and the Lopha subovata is Weno, Paw paw, etc, ( Above the Glen Rose). Now that you got my curosity up and I don't have a L. subovata or the L. comalensis to compare them so I'm going to have to make a trip to Austin (U. of Tex library) to check them out.

post-8-1241382013_thumb.jpgpost-8-1241382142_thumb.jpg

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

jpbowden,

I'm going to have to start calling you "The King of Oysters". Most folks just stub their toe's on those things, cuss, and go on to look for a shark tooth.

The only Lopha I ever found in Texas was the Lopha travisana from the Austin Chalk. See pic's below. The Lopha comalensis is a Glen Rose formation oyster and the Lopha subovata is Weno, Paw paw, etc, ( Above the Glen Rose). Now that you got my curosity up and I don't have a L. subovata or the L. comalensis to compare them so I'm going to have to make a trip to Austin (U. of Tex library) to check them out.

JKFoam

I'm turning green, that's a nice one a real nice one, and yes, I like the oyster. :D