Echinoid Nursery?

jpbowden

I think this may be an echinoid nursery discovered on a road trip yesterday, I have been finding very small ones there for a long time but the rains started washing these out.

post-749-1241368724_thumb.jpgpost-749-1241368730_thumb.jpgpost-749-1241368740_thumb.jpg

Their the little guys with the holes in each end.

Sheesh, It's a wonder you even spotted those tiny guys. Neat!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The smallest are the shape of a old wooden barrel with an opening at each end, and others are just starting to turn to the heart look. I have no trouble seeing them, with all the falling on my face there's no problem at all.

Hey those are cool. Can you post a full resolution picture (or as close as you can) of those? I would like to zoom in for a closer look.

Mike, I would love to, but the only camera I have is a Sony FD Mavica and it is coal fired. To see anything I have to use a 40X loupe. Sorry.

I have a Sony FD Mavica!!! I thought only insurance adjusters had those. I went through about 5 cameras a year, before going on E-bay and buying a Mavica. Those things are indestructible. I know adjusters who have had them since they came out in the early 90's, and they still have them. They have taken probably 10,000 + pictures a year for 10+ years, and are still going strong. If you forget your memory card, you can always use the floppy disk for storage, but it sounds like you are grinding corn in the thing when you use that.

Oh, nice echnoids !!!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I have a Sony FD Mavica!!! I thought only insurance adjusters had those. I went through about 5 cameras a year, before going on E-bay and buying a Mavica. Those things are indestructible. I know adjusters who have had them since they came out in the early 90's, and they still have them. They have taken probably 10,000 + pictures a year for 10+ years, and are still going strong. If you forget your memory card, you can always use the floppy disk for storage, but it sounds like you are grinding corn in the thing when you use that.

Oh, nice echnoids !!!

I am wearing a sack over my head and now invisible, don't look at me! :(

Those are cool--where'd you find them? just kidding! I found about two hundred tiny regular urchins at a goofy little park in Austin this year that were about that size. Apparently that park was an urchin pre-school a few million years ago!

Mike, I would love to, but the only camera I have is a Sony FD Mavica and it is coal fired. To see anything I have to use a 40X loupe. Sorry.

Understood. That was a great camera in it's heyday (and apparently still is). I know at least 2 other people still using theirs. I'll just have to check it out in person someday. Just mail it to me (just kidding!) :P

Pat - that's really cool.

My eyes are hurting just thinking about finding them though... :faint:

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Pat, do you have a scanner....?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here are some more shots, I have some smallr loose ones but can't find them at this time, they are heart shape but have no features.

post-749-1241492133_thumb.jpgpost-749-1241492139_thumb.jpgpost-749-1241492146_thumb.jpg

post-749-1241492152_thumb.jpgpost-749-1241492159_thumb.jpgpost-749-1241492171_thumb.jpg

post-749-1241492179_thumb.jpg

For those that would like to see for themselves, go to 107 between Moody and Gatesville, look for the gray slopes and check out the light gray areas on top of it.