Bugged...

Frank Menser

I bought these many years ago as a lot fom a wholesaler who did not have a locality for these.

No ID on this one. The pity is my camera is not good enough to capture the delicate veining in the wings. Body is 5/8".

post-1313-1241393693_thumb.jpg

Mosquitos

post-1313-1241393658_thumb.jpg

A Bee?

post-1313-1241393625_thumb.jpg

Again i apologise for the photo quality. This is a bit of a needle in a haystack but any opinions welcome.

Be true to the reality you create.

just guessing!

#1 crane fly

#2 crane fly larva

#3 ?

they could be from Utah, Green River formation!

My bad here... The actual color of these is gray like you see in Utah TB's. I photoshoped to bring out more detail.

Bone digger, I think you are right at least on the first one.... :)

the 3rd pic is a little to blury for me but if it is the thingy over to the right hand side of the rock it sorta likes like a snout bettle of some kind!?!?!?

the 3rd pic is a little to blury for me but if it is the thingy over to the right hand side of the rock it sorta likes like a snout bettle of some kind!?!?!?

That last one unfortunately is blurry in real life. All I have on it is what the dealer told me..... :faint:

I went to several sites to compare...Bone Digger, I think you are right about Green River. I found specimens of crane fly in the same gray matrix as mine are.

Thanks guys!

Yes these are Definately Green River Formations from Bonaza, Utah. the first two are Craneflies, Tipula spoliata. the second image is a group of adult, not larval, craneflies that have been rolled in a the current and have lost there wings. this is very common to see. the third image shows what i think it a roach, but is too blurry to be sure. please post a clearer picture. here are some of mine http://picasaweb.google.com/ebrocklds/InsectsForStudy#

Brock

post-1313-1241462229_thumb.jpg

That is quite the collection you have, Brock. Thanks for the link!

Went over your pics carefully, though to admit the truth this is not my area. I went back over the above piece with a jeweler's loup and found it is a lot more busy than I first thought. There appears to be several smaller (insects?) or parts scattered on the piece, some that are not exposed properly.

The main one on the right. There is not enough detail for this layman to be certain of what this is but a roach looks to be a good guess. It looks like only the abdomen is intact.

Unfortunately as I said, my camera is not good enough to do better.

Frank........ Nice fossils

Brock........ Im seriously impressed ..... what a collection, I particularily like the 'Moth' !

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks for the help guys.

Since I don't collect insects, I decided to sell these as a lot on Ebay if anyone is interested.