Prep & Clean Concretion - Too Risky To Learn On?

shorty

I found this a while back & was lucky enough to get an ID from Dr. Jarmila Kukalova-Peck. She was very gracious & sent a reply & suggested cleaning it to reveal more details.

I've never done anything like this and was worried about damaging it, so it's been in a drawer for a couple of years.

post-1206-1241394578_thumb.jpg

Has anyone ever attempted something like this? Is it too risky for me as a complete newbie to attempt?

I'd sure like any advice. I may never find another one, so I'd hate to ruin it. thanks! Kim

Here's the letter from Dr. Kukalova-Peck

". . . I am sure it is a youg nymph of Insecta: Paleoptera: Palaeodictyopterida, but it is impossible to say, which order. Most probably, either Megasecoptera, or Palaeodictyoptera.

Evidence: On both sides of the abdomen, there are remnants of peculiar, tubular outgrowths, unique to these insects. We think that they were protective camouflage devices. They must have looked like a ball of fluff. They were terrestrial and had long, broad sucking beaks. They sucked in entire contents of fructifications, so that they were perched in trees and exposed to attacks from marauding dragonflies. Apparently, when these predators tried to snatch them away,. they ended up with their long spiny legs full of "hay', or so we believe.

You would not see the beak from dorsal view, because it was oriented almost perpendicularily and into the rock. The head whould have anteriorly a bump, which had the muscles employed in sucking. What is peculiar, I cannot see the third pair of small winglets, which should be on the rirst thoracic segment right behind the head. I suggest that you get yourself a stiff small brush, and try repatedly and with some force "polish" the rock over the head and following segment. Tha should, after 3 minutes or so, bring out the outlines of the eyes (they were big) and possibly also the small wings (they look like two little hearts attached from sides).

Godd luck. It is a good specimen because of the tubular ptojections. You can try to clean then with this brisk bruhing too. Make su that you use the right amoung of force, check the progress constantly.

If the details will stand out better, it would be worth of photographying again and publishing.

Best wishes,

jarmila "

I know nothing of this type of fossil, but with the super very little experience I have in prepping, the only thing I would suggest is just glue the pieces back together without any glue showing and leave it at that. Its already a super nice looking specimen. In my opinion,,, dont ruin it by by trying to 'prep it out'!!!! leave it as is with no tool marks of any kind!!!!

RB

I agree with RB, it looks really nice the way it is and I don't think you'll expose any more details by trying to prep it. very cool fossil!

yeah, that's a neat fossil, and definitely not one to learn prepping on, in my opinion. you want to find some common, and preferably even damaged, stuff to practice prepping on. literally, you want to feel like if you mess it up, it's no loss. one thing you'll probably find is that stuff that's been worked on often looks like it's been worked on, which can hurt its eye appeal. it's kind of a gift to be able to work on it and make it look not worked on, but just a whole lot better than it was.

I have a friend who is experienced in prepping out Mazon Creek concretions. He works at The Univerisity of Chicago in the dinosaur prep lab. His name is Bob Masek, you can probably do a Google search to get a hold of him. Just let him know that Rob referred you and he will be able to help you out. Let me know if you have any problem getting in touch wit him.

I have a friend who is experienced in prepping out Mazon Creek concretions. He works at The Univerisity of Chicago in the dinosaur prep lab. His name is Bob Masek, you can probably do a Google search to get a hold of him. Just let him know that Rob referred you and he will be able to help you out. Let me know if you have any problem getting in touch wit him.

Thanks, Rob! I'll google him!

Shorty........ Ive prepped a couple of siderite nodules....... My rule of thumb is look at the critters contour carefully under a microscope.... If the matrix will seperate it will have a visible gap or separation layer and if this Is present I use an arrow air pen and undertake the prep under the scope..... usually the vibration and airflow is enough to ping the loose rock off although it takes some getting used to at first, under magnification its like waving a javellin in a bucket, so I would have a practice first as suggested.......

Ive never seen a siderite nodule where the matrix looks clingy come out any good other than looking damaged after attempting to prep it, so identifying if this visible separation layer is present is important......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

its like waving a javellin in a bucket

Ha! very funny! :)

Thanks for the great description of how & when to attempt cleaning it. Since I'm still very new at this, I don't have the tools you mention. You've definitely convinced me not to go at it without practice! ;)

For now, the nymph will go back in the drawer.

Thanks so much!

Kim

Ha! very funny! :)

Thanks for the great description of how & when to attempt cleaning it. Since I'm still very new at this, I don't have the tools you mention. You've definitely convinced me not to go at it without practice! ;)

For now, the nymph will go back in the drawer.

Thanks so much!

Kim

Hey Kim. Maybe you should mail this fossil to me for some very close scrutinizing? It may take many years to study it closely though. Ha!!

RB

Wow, sure that sounds like the best idea ever! I'll send along some money, too, to help pay for its room and board while it stays with you!

:P

Wow, sure that sounds like the best idea ever! I'll send along some money, too, to help pay for its room and board while it stays with you!

:P

Never thought about room and board will have to break the news to Barefoot and mamabetts that I want R&B if they store there extras here

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway