Ptychodus

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

Well I finally got out to do a little bit of site prospecting. I first went to a creek that I have been to before for ptychodus teeth. My wife and I did 2 hours of surface collecting only. The creek currently has more gravel exposed than I have ever seen in it. It is ripe for screening/sifting!! Besides the ptychodus mortoni teeth, my wife found a broken-up mosasaur tooth and also some sort of mammal tooth (I have shown four views of that tooth, any IDs??). Sorry that some of my pictures are dark. She also found a Deer skull with antlers (not pictured). I found my first piece (unfortunately only a piece) of a different type of ptychodus tooth for me, a P. polygyrus, I think. After this creek we went and found a second ptychodus producing creek, but it was too full of water for us to get into (we know it has ptychodus because of some research). So at least I know where to head when all this rain lets up for a while. Again, any help with the small mammal tooth??

sorry i cant help with the mammal tooth but it will be cool to find out what it is, shame the mosasaur is broken would have been one nice tooth! great trip over all for the both of you

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Looks like you had a good trip!!! Not sure about the mammal tooth. Could be a molar for a carnivore but that's just a shot in the dark.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

N.AL,

Great detail on the P. mortoni! Could your other one be Ptychodus martini?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Looks like you had a good trip!!! Not sure about the mammal tooth. Could be a molar for a carnivore but that's just a shot in the dark.

I agree with 'Phoenixflood' -- looks like an upper molar, probably M3, from a carnivore other than cat.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest N.AL.hunter

JohnJ, It sure could be a martini. I looked at both of them on the OceansofKansas site and chose the polygyrus since he had one on his site from Alabama. But I don't know for sure which it is and since I did not find the whole tooth, might not be able to tell.

Phoenix and Harry, Thanks for the partial Id leading me toward the correct ID. I'll be doing some research on this one.

PaleoRon, Don't know if you can make it down here soon, but the site's gravel bars are the biggest I've seen them, and two inches of rain has fallen there since I surface collected on Saturday.

JohnJ, It sure could be a martini. I looked at both of them on the OceansofKansas site and chose the polygyrus since he had one on his site from Alabama. But I don't know for sure which it is and since I did not find the whole tooth, might not be able to tell.

Phoenix and Harry, Thanks for the partial Id leading me toward the correct ID. I'll be doing some research on this one.

PaleoRon, Don't know if you can make it down here soon, but the site's gravel bars are the biggest I've seen them, and two inches of rain has fallen there since I surface collected on Saturday.

Unfortunately I have a summer class so I won't be able to do a road trip until late June. School is really interfering with my fossil collecting. :angry:

Unfortunately I have a summer class so I won't be able to do a road trip until late June. School is really interfering with my fossil collecting. :angry:

Yeah, same here! Stupid school :P

No problem N.Al Hunter :D Wish I could be of more help

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.