May Be Driving From Md To Il! Help Please! Any Fossil Sites Along The Way?!?!

Phoenixflood

I may be drivng from Md near Baltimore to Danville IL, does anyone know any good fossil hunting spots along the way?

I don't even know all the details myself, but I would be helping my girlfriend bring some of her grandmothers' items back from Il. Any help on fossil sites allong the way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all! :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Not sure where Danville is (outside Chicago)?

Anyway maybe you will be close to the Braidwood area

and can find a tully monster. Haven't ever been yet. You

can download the permit and take it with you if near there.

Mazon Creek

Welcome to the forum!

Guest solius symbiosus

If you take I-70 into Indianapolis, that area is covered with glacial till, however, if you detour to Charleston, then take I-64 to Louisville, there are numerous outcrops. Though, it is about 130 miles longer.

If you decide to detour, let me know.

Braidwood is about 2 1/2 hours northwest of Danville. Like Roz said, you can collect Mazon Creek concretions in the Mazonia state park. Let me know if you decide to come. I'll try to help you find places that won't be too overgrown.

Kim

Thanks everyone! I will let you all know when I know futher details. I would like to check out mazonia just because I've heard a lot about it. Concretions right?

Also looking for places in other states along the way.

What's in those outcrops along I-64 Solius?

Guest solius symbiosus
What's in those outcrops along I-64 Solius?

I-64 traverses the Cincinnati Arch across Ky, so most of the Paleozoic is exposed in a 200 mile stretch... twice. The road goes from Ashland to Louisville. See the diagram.

kygeo.jpg

See THIS post.

I-64 traverses the Cincinnati Arch across Ky, so most of the Paleozoic is exposed in a 200 mile stretch... twice. The road goes from Ashland to Louisville. See the diagram.

See THIS post.

Thanks Solius! I don't have any material from there nor do I have any clue about what that layer looks like. I may have to take a detour :D

"Fossil Hunting in the mid atlantic states" by Jasper Burns, published by John Hopkins Will have some in areas you will travel through. Even though I am directionally challenged I have found 3 locations using this book. I bought a used copy, paperback, which is currently up in West Va. Hope you find this helpful.

Fosceal