Cretaceous Caviar?

Derrik

ammoprep189medium.jpg

ammoprep190medium.jpg

I found this in a creek probably 5 years ago and always wondered what it is. It has kinda a root structure on the bottom of it. I also found this cool Engonoceras ammonite nearby.

ammoprep191medium.jpg

My first guess is coral.

***Maybe if I resize those jumbo pictures I'll get a responce :rolleyes: ***

sooooo............. What the heck is it???

Don't be shy now.

I don't have swine flu... yet.

I would agree with the crinoid assessment.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I do not know why but am just not seeing

anything crinoid-like to me..

I think I saw another one like that with an ID on the web

but look at hundreds of pis so not sure I can find it.

I could also be wrong....

Welcome to the forum!

sooooo............. What the heck is it???

Don't be shy now.

I don't have swine flu... yet.

My first thought was crinoid calyx, some of the Paleozoic ones look similar... but unfortunately I know next-to-nothing about the Cretaceous

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

I know this will seem far fetched when I state it but it is true. I've seen them in fossil and freshly made.

This could be a crab regurgitation/feeding pile. Some crab species (both extinct and extant) sifts through sand and after extracting the tidbits, spits out little spitballs into piles sand castle fashion. Some can be quiet large--the piles that is.

They a bit rare but not unheard of. For them to survive they have to be covered by dunes that aren't disturbed for a long while. This was possible during the Cretaceous as the inland seaway retreated. Finding it adjacent to an ammonite of course suggest cretaceous.

There are other similar forms which I can't exclude in this id and those are associated with crayfish borrows and a rock lobster/burrowing shrimp-like creature from the late Cretaceous which lined its borrow in balls like this.

Eman

I know this will seem far fetched when I state it but it is true. I've seen them in fossil and freshly made.

This could be a crab regurgitation/feeding pile. Some crab species (both extinct and extant) sifts through sand and after extracting the tidbits, spits out little spitballs into piles sand castle fashion. Some can be quiet large--the piles that is.

They a bit rare but not unheard of. For them to survive they have to be covered by dunes that aren't disturbed for a long while. This was possible during the Cretaceous as the inland seaway retreated. Finding it adjacent to an ammonite of course suggest cretaceous.

There are other similar forms which I can't exclude in this id and those are associated with crayfish borrows and a rock lobster/burrowing shrimp-like creature from the late Cretaceous which lined its borrow in balls like this.

Eman

Here is a link to a similar discussion on another forum, concerning the burrows that you mention:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=228000.0

(not sure, but you may have to join the forum to view it)

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

Here is where I'm coming from with the "crinoid calyx" guess... not the same type of crinoid, but you can see the similarity.

0513092.jpg

0513094.jpg

0513096.jpg

05130916.jpg

05130917.jpg