Fossil Id?

M.Youssef

What is this ? this is a unique specimen that was found with Goniopygus Echinoids.

M.Youssef

post-1153-1241648486_thumb.jpg

post-1153-1241648500_thumb.jpg

post-1153-1241648514_thumb.jpg

post-1153-1241648526_thumb.jpg

I certainly dont know the Genus or species, but its a bivalve, a scallop.

RB

I keep looking at your photos and keep tryin to figure out what is dorsal and what is ventral. As far as I know, the scallops swim and its usually purty easy to tell the difference. I cant figure this one out? Sorry

RB

That is a very nice Lopha sp. in fact, it almost looks like a small version of Lopha subovata. It's and oyster.

Dang,,,,I wanted to say oyster, but I thought that was too stupid. Now how dumb do I look?

RB

Dam,,,,I wanted to say oyster, but I thought that was too stupid. Now how dumb do I look?

RB

Hey Guy, not dumb at all, most wouldn't get it being an oyster. 99% of what I hunt for is oysters, ask anyone.

Very nice, well preserved! Any for sale? ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This type is not a bed oyster it is a reef oyster, loners of their kind so to speak. :D

That is very nice, it is hard to find them in that good of a condition, with both halves in tact.

Hey Pat,

My first thought was the oyster Plicatula. I Google'd Images for Plicatula and I thought some of them looked pretty close. I can see why and how you came up with Lopha sp. If anyone has a copy of the Pelecypoda volume of the "Treatis of Invertebrate Paleontology" maybe they can weigh in. Where is Stenzel when you need him (LOL).

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Hey Pat,

My first thought was the oyster Plicatula. I Google'd Images for Plicatula and I thought some of them looked pretty close. I can see why and how you came up with Lopha sp. If anyone has a copy of the Pelecypoda volume of the "Treatis of Invertebrate Paleontology" maybe they can weigh in. Where is Stenzel when you need him (LOL).

JKFoam

It's a real mimic for sure, there's got to be bit of both in this guy.

i've found similiar oysters in the upper cretaceous. unknown how some of their cousins walked to morocco.

It was found in the same location as these Goniopygus Echinoids . same type of mineralization inside.

i've found similiar oysters in the upper cretaceous. unknown how some of their cousins walked to morocco.

post-1153-1241700004_thumb.jpg

Oyster? Where's the pearl? :D

Be true to the reality you create.

cool oyster! The only thing I have ever found that looks sorta similar is this inoceramid bivalve from Vancouver Island B.C. called Sphenoceramus elegans.