Fish Plate Id Confirmed (with New Pictures)

Ramo

I cleaned up my fish plate a little, and was pleasently suprised to find a keel under the plate. I also got an e-mail back from Dr. Carr saying that the keel confirmed that it was indeed a fish plate, and most probably a median dorsal plate from a Dunkleosteus. It still needs a lot of cleaning, but my motel room isn't the place.

post-40-1241657479_thumb.jpg

post-40-1241657502_thumb.jpg

post-40-1241657556_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

The next time you think about leaving a fossil, call me.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I wonder how you would have felt if it was gone when you went back for it, and later you saw someone on the local news holding your fish fossil?

My philosophy is: if it looks remotely interesting pick it up now and chuck it later if it turns out to be a leaverite.

From now on, when in doubt I'm packing it up and bringing it home!!

-Aldo Leopold

I will bet that you never forget what fish plate looks like. Congrats on the find.

I must say that you really work fast. Find it, leave it, go get it, clean it, and get it ID - all is a couple of days.

I looked up images of Dunkleosteus. That makes it all the more impressive. I never knew those could be found there.

Another impressive find to add to your collection and knowledge! B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very nice find!

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Awesome find! I'll bet your gonna bring a truck out with you next time and haul all that shale away!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wow! It is so much more than it first appeared. I bet I know where you will be spending more of your collecting time at.

I'm curious if there is more to the fish at this site? May be worth looking into.

I'm curious if there is more to the fish at this site? May be worth looking into.

I agree Ramo - go get the rest of it!!!

COOL find!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I went back and spent about 2 hours in the area and didn't find anything. This rock was brought in by truck and dumped in the area. Most of the rocks there are only about fist sized from being ran over by dozers. The only bigger rocks are along the edges where the heavy equipment didn't drive. That's where I found this.

-Aldo Leopold

• 2 weeks later...

Close call, bk, close call!

Glad it was where you'd "stored" it :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!