Missouri Shark Tooth

ashcraft

Around here, when something is uncommon we say "as rare as sharks teeth", and I look with envy at all of y'alls (I type with an accent) great collections. We were looking at a cretaceous site this weekend and somebody picked up this shark's tooth. I apologize for the quality of the photo, but the tooth is only about 2mm, so it is greatly enlarged, and I didn't have a tripod to get a good steady shot. Anybody care to comment on family/genus/species?

Brent Ashcraft

post-120-1241657699_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

ashcraft

What you have there is a Squalicorax cf "kaupi" commonly know as a crow shark. You can find some good pictures at elasmo.com under faunas and then under black creek formation. Hope this help you out.

post-239-1241658774_thumb.jpg

Around here, when something is uncommon we say "as rare as sharks teeth", and I look with envy at all of y'alls (I type with an accent) great collections. We were looking at a cretaceous site this weekend and somebody picked up this shark's tooth. I apologize for the quality of the photo, but the tooth is only about 2mm, so it is greatly enlarged, and I didn't have a tripod to get a good steady shot. Anybody care to comment on family/genus/species?

Brent Ashcraft

Wow - Cretaceous shark tooth from Missouri....now THAT'S rare!

Wow - Cretaceous shark tooth from Missouri....now THAT'S rare!

bsrs-Thanks for the ID.

x-man, Dr. Stinchcomb is leading a trip down her in a couple of week with the EMSP, these were taken from his new property, you should come, see how us souhterners live....

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen