Possible Footprint...maybe?

Kells

Hello, everyone. I hope I give enough info and post the pictures properly. If not please let me know, and I'll attempt to fix it. Below are three pictures of a rock I found while digging at the edge of my driveway one day. I live in northeast Tennessee right on the line of the ordovician-cambrian and cambrian geological chart. I thought, too, that since I was near my driveway, the rock I found could also be from a quarry, but that is also from a local source so the rock type would be similar or the same I suppose.

At its longest point the rock is 3.5 inches long and maybe 2 inches thick. The first photo is of what I thought looked like some sort of fossil. I looked at some of the pseudofossils, and I didn't see anything quite like this. The picture number two is of the back, and picture three is of the side.

gallery_1623_441_256176.jpggallery_1623_441_128830.jpggallery_1623_441_53990.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Not foot prints; critters back then had only very small feet(if they can be called that). From the way the texture penetrates the layers, it looks like dessication, or mud, cracks.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I am afraid that I fail to see any fossils present in this rock. To me it looks like chert, but I can't be sure. Sorry.

Oh, that's alright. :) I appreciate you all helping me figure it out. I'd rather know what it really is, and I thank you for helping me find out. ^_^

Guest solius symbiosus

Some nice stuff has been found in those rocks, but if memory serves, some of the rocks are terrestrial, so you might want to invest in some good maps and books.

Think I might do that. I'm all the time looking for things, so maybe something to reference would be of the good. Thank you!

I suspect it is a stromatolite colony, I have seen similar here in Missouri. If it is, there will be distinctive banding, almost looking like tree-ring growths, if you have a fracture in profile of the specimen.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I'm going to see if I can get a better picture of the front and see if that helps any. Maybe that'll give you all something better to look at. Thank you all so much for the help. ;)