Where Can I Find Authentic Avian Fossils?

TheRealRaptor

Hello all!

I've had my eye out for some authentic avian fossils, but I'm not sure where to find some out in the scary internet world of forgeries.

I am interested in just about everything from fossilized feathers to bones to tracks to scat to whatever!!

It would help to know what kinds of things to look out for and where I can find them!

Thanks,

El

- The important thing is to never stop questioning -

Albert Einstein

Try the natural canvas. That's one of the only places I've seen with a variety of bird fossils.

Scylla - I am having trouble finding Auspex. All that came up was a pharmaceutical site, haha.

Runner - The Natural Canvas looks promising! Thanks so much!

Albert Einstein

Scylla - I am having trouble finding Auspex. All that came up was a pharmaceutical site, haha.

Haha! Auspex is a moderator here :P

and yes...he probably has them all!

Haha, I'll check it out :D

Albert Einstein

The auction sites have mostly forgeries so stay away from them. I like Natural Canvas, the Fossil Mall or Indiana9 fossils but there is not a lot there. I would suggest that if you find something don't hesitate to post here to verify authenticity. I say that because dealers may not be the best experts on what they sell.

Edited by Troodon

ROFL

...I'm back.

The auction sites have mostly forgeries so stay away from them. I like Natural Canvas, the Fossil Mall or Indiana9 fossils but there is not a lot there. I would suggest that if you find something don't hesitate to post here to verify authenticity. I say that because dealers may not be the best experts on what they sell.

Thanks for the advice! I found several interesting feather fossils on the Natural Canvas, and I saw that they had a complete microraptor at some point.

That would be my DREAM fossil - a COMPLETE microraptor, haha. But they are rightfully expensive, and probably belong in museums where everyone can enjoy them.

Albert Einstein

ROFL

Still figuring everything out, haha :D

Albert Einstein

Yes, the Natural Canvas is one of the few dealers that actually looks for bird stuff and makes an effort to identify bones correctly. The last time I visited their "world headquarters" (the garage), John was working on identifying a small lot he bought at Tucson last month. He has a big library of books and pdfs and he takes the time to go through them.

Try the natural canvas. That's one of the only places I've seen with a variety of bird fossils.

Fossilera has one now, from the green river.

I just looked at it. Really cool! :D

Albert Einstein

How old are you looking for? I have some odd avian bones from the mid Miocene (15 myo).

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I'm completely open to all eras, but a Mesozoic avian fossil would be the most desirable to me.

Albert Einstein

Please conduct this discussion via PM.

How old are you looking for? I have some odd avian bones from the mid Miocene (15 myo).

I'm completely open to all eras, but a Mesozoic avian fossil would be the most desirable to me.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is one that is Eocene, from a seemingly reputable UK website. PM me for the link (since we aren't supposed to share commercial sites here):

RIMG1723.jpg

Here is one that is Eocene, from a seemingly reputable UK website. PM me for the link (since we aren't supposed to share commercial sites here):

Golly thats a good one! :o

Albert Einstein

I really like the one from Fossilera.

I'm having trouble posting a pic of it, but if you google "bird" on their website it'll come up. Its the Eocene one from the Green River. Great toes with excellent leg display.

Albert Einstein

prem / The Real Raptor

The bone looks good in the photo for what I would expect for a bird but the matrix looks like a painted epoxy resin so unless the seller can explain that be careful.

Most Mesozoic avian would be in museums and that where mine have .been donated

Mike

prem / The Real Raptor

The bone looks good in the photo for what I would expect for a bird but the matrix looks like a painted epoxy resin so unless the seller can explain that be careful.

Mike

That's the typical preparation in resin of the fossils that came from the Messel pit. There are a lot of fakes from there and I suggest to see those fossils in person. Some fakes are really well done

prem / The Real Raptor

Mike

Thanks for the heads up!

Nice of you to donate yours so that more people can enjoy them :)

Albert Einstein

That's the typical preparation in resin of the fossils that came from the Messel pit. There are a lot of fakes from there and I suggest to see those fossils in person. Some fakes are really well done

Again, thanks for the warning! I've been looking for a good place to go look at some available fossils, but I don't have a place like that in my area as far as I know.

Albert Einstein

glu

Thanks I knew that some areas they removed the matrix and imbedded the fossils in resin but have never seen a good photo before and for some reason I expected the resin to be clear.

Mike