Dermal Denticles?

Archie

post-20297-0-07448100-1459177000_thumb.jpgpost-20297-0-02797900-1459177008_thumb.jpg

A friend and I found these yesterday in an old Lower Carboniferous Limestone quarry in Fife, Scotland. At first I thought tiny rugose corals but they are always calcitic at this location and these do not fizz in acid. The base of the first although pretty badly weathered resembles Petrodus pateliformis denticles (which I believe are known only from England and the US and not from Scotland) and the less weathered one also shows a striking resemblance on the base to a P. pateliformis with what looks exactly like the nutrient foramina on a P. pateliformis base. Scale is in mm. Has anyone ever seen denticles with this long pointy morphology of this age? Any help much appreciated!

Sam

Edited by Archie

The P. pateliformis denticle on the far left is from the Monsal Dale limestone of a similar age from Derbyshire, England for comparison.

post-20297-0-75370600-1459177857_thumb.jpg

Heres a shot of the base of a P. pateliformis for comparison with my find. Another factor thats made me lean toward denticles rather than coral is the iron oxide staining on the more weathered specimen, some of my Monsal Dale dermicles have this going on but Ive never seen it in rugose corals from Scottish Lower Carb limestones.

Edited by Archie

The first one definitely has resemblance to Petrodus dermal denticles. See here for reference: http://www.lakeneosho.org/page43.html

It is important to note however, that P. pateliformis is no longer considered to be correct for these dermal denticles as recent studies have shown that many species of the Petrodus had denticle of similar morphology. The second two items are troublesome, I have never seen one with such a long and pointy morphology. I do not think they are the same thing as your first item. They look like some kind of invertebrate bit to me.

Nice finds!

Edited by TNCollector
  • I found this Informative 2

Crinoid anal sac spines would be my guess for the last two. :)post-17588-0-04673900-1459182909_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The first one definitely has resemblance to Petrodus dermal denticles. See here for reference: http://www.lakeneosho.org/page43.html

It is important to note however, that P. pateliformis is no longer considered to be correct for these dermal denticles as recent studies have shown that many species of the Petrodus had denticle of similar morphology. The second two items are troublesome, I have never seen one with such a long and pointy morphology. I do not think they are the same thing as your first item. They look like some kind of invertebrate bit to me.

Nice finds!

Thanks TNCollector really appreciate the interesting info (I wasnt aware of that!) and link =]

Crinoid anal sac spines would be my guess for the last two. :)attachicon.gif2007-01-27-120-800.jpg

Thanks abyssunder I think you've hit the nail on the head with Crinoid anal sac spines they look identical to my finds! The only thing that was still bothering me is the features on the base that look like the nutrient foramina on Petrodus dermicles but this must just be a coincidence.

Nice finds congrats!

Thank you darctooth =]

Edited by Archie

Nice crinoids ;)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg