What is this & what should I do w it?

Dill

Maine beach find - small pebble of calcium or limestone or coral? There are bumpy markings on the outside.

Seems to be stuff inside. What's the best way to proceed?

post-21071-0-69547200-1459438703_thumb.jpg

post-21071-0-94629400-1459438886_thumb.jpg

post-21071-0-39331000-1459438916_thumb.jpg

Probably Eocene to Miocene in age I would sya if they are anything like the Florida ones

Probably Eocene to Miocene in age I would sya if they are anything like the Florida ones

Oh wow Fossil Dude - you might be right on. Now that I look I can see faint markings on the top. I need to learn more - do you have any good resources?

I guess I should be glad I didn't smash it open lol. Thanks!

post-21071-0-11022800-1459440333_thumb.jpg

post-21071-0-10950500-1459440396_thumb.jpg

I think it is an encrusting bryozoan growing around a rock.

Could be. It is as light as about 5 feathers though. How do I proceed?

Ahh yes AL dente.

I was assuming that little Rock like fragment in the second picture was

Matrix or something plugged.

I'm a little unclear. Are these all photos of the same thing?

In the very first photo, in any case, the "dimples" look very much like spine attachments, which you would see with some echinoids. The second photo shows some of the same features, but appears to be a lateral view of a semi-intact test that has been broken and then infilled with material of various kinds.

The other photos, I think, are anybody's guess. The preservation isn't great, which is not unusual for beach finds.

In terms of what to do, I don't think there's anything to do. It doesn't look to me like a specimen that is going to benefit from cleaning. If you're interested in keeping it in your collection, just make sure it's associated with complete collecting information and off you go to your next find.

W.

Edited by Wendell Ricketts

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

In the very first photo, in any case, the "dimples" look very much like spine attachments, which you would see with some echinoids. The second photo shows some of the same features, but appears to be a lateral view of a semi-intact test that has been broken and then infilled with material of various kinds.

The other photos, I think, are anybody's guess. The preservation isn't great, which is not unusual for beach finds.

In terms of what to do, I don't think there's anything to do. It doesn't look to me like a specimen that is going to benefit from cleaning. If you're interested in keeping it in your collection, just make sure it's associated with complete collecting information and off you go to your next find.

W.

Thanks to everyone. Yes the photos are all of the same specimen.

I'd actually like to break it open and see what's inside. I asked here to make sure I didn't damage it bc of my lack of knowledge.

I have no idea about fossils and am trying to learn.

Thanks.

W.

To me it doesn't look "filled" - I think I see layers around whatever the round thung is

post-21071-0-47444500-1459445717_thumb.jpg

I think it is an encrusting bryozoan growing around a rock.

Al Dente - YOU GET THE PRIZE lol.

I got a rock.