New York / New Jersey Show This Weekend

Scylla

Would go but I have my own show booth to set up in Mariposa that weekend. Otherwise I'd be there, lol.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I'm heading there tomorrow, and should be there shortly after opening. I don't know how long I'll be there. It depends on how long my kids want to stay. There is supposed to be a large dinosaur cast area that was added this year, so we might be there a while. I'm mainly going to pick up some dinosaur fossils that I've already purchased for our collection. :) I'd be happy to meet up if you make it there.

I went Friday and Saturday- a great show! I posted my recap in the Fossil Hunting Trips section of the Forum!

Well, I made it there. I think the number of fossil booths is declining. The number of crystal healing booths is skyrocketing. There were more carved skulls in obsidian, pyrite, onyx, agate, etc. than fossil skulls by about 100 to 1. But there was still stuff to drool over.

I know what you mean. Robert Simmons has an entire generation (and a whole lot of older folk too) believing that everything stone (including fossils) has some sort of spiritual energy and thus all these rocks we have been dealing with for years are now somehow suddenly powerful and dealers are cashing in on this frenzy and charging three times the amount for normally ordinary minerals in the name of metaphysical healing. Boo!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I know what you mean. Robert Simmons has an entire generation (and a whole lot of older folk too) believing that everything stone (including fossils) has some sort of spiritual energy and thus all these rocks we have been dealing with for years are now somehow suddenly powerful and dealers are cashing in on this frenzy and charging three times the amount for normally ordinary minerals in the name of metaphysical healing. Boo!

Ya, and I wouldn't mind it so much if all they were doing was separating fools from their cash, (I have been accused of being foolish for spending my cash on "just rocks" too) but ruining quartz crystals by polishing the crystal faces off really gets to me. I do worry that this magical thinking may be detrimental to society in the long run. It took a lot of effort to bring us out of the dark ages, and science has advanced the human condition immensely in the past 5 centuries or so. Will we be burning witches at the stake again in a few decades? Anti vaccination mythology has already caused measurable harm, etc.

As a fundamentally scientific forum, it should be a given that we reject the metaphysical, paranormal, or pseudo-scientific. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ya, and I wouldn't mind it so much if all they were doing was separating fools from their cash, (I have been accused of being foolish for spending my cash on "just rocks" too) but ruining quartz crystals by polishing the crystal faces off really gets to me. I do worry that this magical thinking may be detrimental to society in the long run. It took a lot of effort to bring us out of the dark ages, and science has advanced the human condition immensely in the past 5 centuries or so. Will we be burning witches at the stake again in a few decades? Anti vaccination mythology has already caused measurable harm, etc.

amen