It's illegal to fossil hunt in my country. Where should I go for a fossil hunting trip?

sdsnl

Hong Kong's law considers fossils as cultural relics and does not allow fossil hunting. If any fossil is found, even on private land, it automatically becomes government property. So I have to leave the country if I want to do any fossil hunting. Where would you recommend?

I have no preference for the types of fossils, but would prefer places that are easy to find fossils in (so the travel expense would be worth it), and that don't require big tools (don't fancy carrying them on planes). Any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks!

There are a lot of places to fossil hunt in the western united states. You can not collect vertebrate fossils unless on privet land but invertebrate fossils are alright.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Europe. You can rent a car and go to lots of different types of sites in very close proximity.

Spain and Italy are out. It is illegal, just like Hong Kong. But France, UK, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Holland all have good foosil collecting laws and numerous public sites. And a lot of different types. Do some research and see what is out there.

Edited by jpc

I agree with Europe. Not only are there quite a few decently productive sites, you can also find sites of diverse ages relatively close together. In the US and Canada you can also find many sites to collect, but to get a range of ages you may have to travel substantial distances. Also, there are many museums and historical sites close at hand anywhere you go in Europe.

Don

Good luck. We certainly are blessed with lots of fossils here in the Midwestern USA.

It's a fun hobby and I understand your interest.

When you return home, are you allowed to keep the fossils you find on your travels?

If you end up in the Kansas City Area of the US, we have lots of places to hunt.

Bob

Florida offers a well-rounded vacation destination. Join a guided outing to sift vertebrate fossils from the Peace River. Hunt invertebrates in numerous exposures, Eocene to Early Pleistocene.

Fly into Orlando, see Disney World and Universal Studios. Or, kick back at Venice Beach to hunt shark teeth. And, it is less expensive than Europe.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Good luck. We certainly are blessed with lots of fossils here in the Midwestern USA.

It's a fun hobby and I understand your interest.

When you return home, are you allowed to keep the fossils you find on your travels?

If you end up in the Kansas City Area of the US, we have lots of places to hunt.

Bob

Yes, we can keep fossils from overseas :)

Florida offers a well-rounded vacation destination. Join a guided outing to sift vertebrate fossils from the Peace River. Hunt invertebrates in numerous exposures, Eocene to Early Pleistocene.

Fly into Orlando, see Disney World and Universal Studios. Or, kick back at Venice Beach to hunt shark teeth. And, it is less expensive than Europe.

Does the Peace River not count as public land?

My other suggestion is Germany, you can hunt for example in Solnhofen, Grafenbeng, Segenthal, Holzmaden... for now :( :( I also live in a place where is illegal to fossil hunt and so I often go there

I'd say down here in Australia is close to Asia but our fossil sites are rare and take a lot of digging to find anything! There are some great sites with lots of fossils, easy to find but they are illegal to take from. Mining leases or National park.

I recommend looking into South East Asia. Would be MUCH cheaper than Europe.

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Since I like variety, I targeted Germany and France to enjoy Triassic and Jurassic marine exposures which are not present in Texas. The fossil friendly laws made for easy times passing through airport customs. From my perspective the exotic locations shrouded in local history and of course good food made for well rounded experiences.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Florida has a "permitting" system that allows for the collection of vertebrate fossils -- I think.

Good luck wherever You go!!

Tony

It must be frustrating living in such a fossil rich country and not be able to hunt.

...I'm back.

It must be frustrating living in such a fossil rich country and not be able to hunt.

This is one of the main reasons I moved to Wyoming.

No permit is required to collect shark teeth from state-owned beaches or river-bottoms. If you want to collect other vertebrate fossils from beach or bottom, you can get a $5.00 permit from the Florida State Museum.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I'd say down here in Australia is close to Asia but our fossil sites are rare and take a lot of digging to find anything! There are some great sites with lots of fossils, easy to find but they are illegal to take from. Mining leases or National park.

I recommend looking into South East Asia. Would be MUCH cheaper than Europe.

Do you know of any sites in Asia? There doesn't seem to be much info around. So far I've only found a few Taiwanese blog posts with little info, and a Japanese fossil specimens site which includes location info for each picture.

Do you know of any sites in Asia? There doesn't seem to be much info around. So far I've only found a few Taiwanese blog posts with little info, and a Japanese fossil specimens site which includes location info for each picture.

Personally, I don't really know much about SE Asia. I do have a friend in the Philippines who finds Megalodon and Whale teeth however. So there are sites around! :)

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Portugal is a good fossils destinity!

My suggestions (you can check the fossils that I found on those geological formation in my gallery:http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/2327-portuguese-fossils/)

-Fm. Água de Madeiros ( Lias-Bivalves,Brachiopods and Ammonites)

-Peniche (Toarcian-All the types of inverts)

-Consolação (Kimmerdgian-scleractinian corals and bivalves)

-Serra d'Aire e Candeeiros (it covers Mesozoic and Cenozoic layers)

-Arouca (Ordovician-Giant trilobites)

Regards,

Guguita

PS-Illegal sites are very rare (Lourinhã beaches, for example)

Edited by Guguita2104

So, Guguita.. it is legal to collect fossils in Portugal?! I thought it was not allowed.

Yes,it is.Completely legal !!!

Regards,

Guguita

Is it allowed to collect in Arouca? Are you sure?

It depends on the specific location.I found my Neseuretus in an activity promoted for the Geological museum , at Pedreira do Valério.

Regards,

Guguita

Edited by Guguita2104