Texas Echinoid Huntin

jax

I met Snakekeeper at a top secret quarry ( ;) )for some hard core Echi huntin. As we pull in the rain started, and had us both worried. The weather held, and the high for the day was about 75 with a nice breeze. So we dove into the pit, and Barry spots an ammonite in the wall. That was the first of many nice finds to come. As we rounded the corner the Echi's started to just pop out at us, and they were big. I doubled back on a section to give it a second look, and I found the king of all heart urchins. It still has a bunch of limestone on it, but is perfect under that. Its 3.5 in tall, 3.5 in wide, and 2 in thick. A MONSTER! Tons of small ammonites were found, Kingena wacoensis were pretty plentiful as well.

We each ended the day with a few perfect Echi's which made the trip worth while. Barry has a bunch of nice ground shots, and my monster shots on his camera. Stay tuned to the finished product after I get that big boy prepped.

J

post-221-1241930151_thumb.jpg

post-221-1241930289_thumb.jpg

post-221-1241930323_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the big pics, im on a new computer and I dont have my software setup yet

post-221-1241930707_thumb.jpg

post-221-1241930741_thumb.jpg

post-221-1241931042_thumb.jpg

Last one

Great finds. I think you know what I'm thinking... heh heh

That last picture reminds me that "gravity is NOT your friend!!!"

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Great finds. I think you know what I'm thinking... heh heh

That last picture reminds me that "gravity is NOT your friend!!!"

We snuck under that last photo to get to the other side. You look up in a few places, and there was 8-10 foot over hangs. Kinda scary, but they were a pretty thick oyster layer.

Man what a great time.The weather was perfect as were the surroundings.We sat under this waterfall for a while to snack on some lunch....go Peanuts!!! I actually left a perfect palm sized Echinoid there by accident <_< Gotta keep better track of my material ;)post-417-1241963278_thumb.jpgpost-417-1241963417_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to see it cleaned... Hard to find those that large

that aren't completely smashed

Welcome to the forum!

Nice big Macrasters, love those. I've been meaning to get back in the quarry but have been stuck at home on weekends with repairs.

There's a specific layer there that's a conglomerate of Rastellum oysters (denture clams), Lopha oysters, and giant Amphidonte oysters.

I have a very nice Goniophorus echie from there but no big Macrasters yet. I do have some Holasters but they weren't in that great condition.

There's a super-fine ribbed pecten shell called Neithea bellulus.

Good site - been there many times. A buddy of mine found 2 nice fist sized verts there some years back, and one of the old timers in the DPS speaks of 3D fish heads that used to come out of that quarry.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

, and one of the old timers in the DPS speaks of 3D fish heads that used to come out of that quarry.

Awesome,but I prefer to look at the fossils without the aid of 3-D glasses!!!!!! :P

Well, since my house construction is at a standstill until the concrete cures Me and Rozilla dropped by the quarry after breakfast since it's only a few minutes away. I think Roz got a decent ammo and ech. I found a Cretalamna shark tooth and some micro ammos.

post-11-1241987778_thumb.jpg

post-11-1241987790_thumb.jpg

post-11-1241988208_thumb.jpg

Well I didn't find much but was wondering if one of you two left the mold of an ammo there?

Laying in the road right in front one of those gas pipe signs... (first pic)

post-13-1241988625_thumb.jpg

post-13-1241988637_thumb.jpg

post-13-1241988648_thumb.jpg

post-13-1241988676_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

We didnt go down by the gas line. There was someone in before us, not sure when, but they left some fossils laying around. That last echi looks like our nice ones we found

Very nice! Man I love these little guys--and yeah I think that is the biggest heart urchin I ever saw!

I found about fifty heart urchins and Phymosomas today and the heart urchins are in the best shape I've found so far. I also found two 150 lb ammonites--film coming soon!

thas really sweet i wish i could find some more ecinoderms. All we have is crinoids and an ocasional star fish i would love to find stuff like that:)

The Metroplex crew is bringing their "A" game! Nice finds!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ