What Are These Fossils I Found In The North Sulfur River?

DChalo

sometimes it takes people a little while to note the post and respond.

the first thing is a broken septarian nodule with calcite crystals inside

the second thing is a broken worn piece of a leg bone, probably modern, maybe something like a humerus.

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Yep, and formation, age, and relative size would be most helpful(not that I would know).

^^Yep, and formation, age, and relative size would be most helpful(not that I would know).

Upper Cretaceous, Taylor Shale formation

Guest solius symbiosus
Upper Cretaceous, Taylor Shale formation

Hmmm, that is after everything died, isn't it? :D

But how could there be a modern bone in the river? Is it a mosasaur bone?

There are all kinds of modern bones in the river, cow, deer, horse, bob cat, cat, dog, just about anything. I have hunted that river sooooooooooo many times and have seen a lot of modern bone in there. It the bone heavy like a rock? The coloring doesn't look like it is that old. All of the fossilized bone that I have found from there have been black or dark brown. post-498-1242079220_thumb.jpgpost-498-1242079249_thumb.jpgpost-498-1242079182_thumb.jpg Those are all mosasaur bones that I found the last time I was there. Look at the color and the texture o them, can you see the difference?

But how could there be a modern bone in the river? Is it a mosasaur bone?

Rivers are constantly mixing things up...the water digs into the sediment/rock at the bottom (where you get the Cretaceous fossils) mixes them with the ice age deposits (add your mammoth/mastodon) and also mixes them with every horse, cow and deer that dies today.

ITs not heavy, its not even a pound. Are any of them worth anything?

Sorry, but I don't think they would be worth much.

Sorry, but I don't think they would be worth much.

I found the bone in sedimentary rock and i found out the crystals are sulfur

The NSR as sooooo much to offer the collector, there is a huge variety of things to be found there. Once you train your eye to spot the goodies, it will become very easy to find all kinds of fossilized bone, teeth, gastropods, brachapods, and much more. The NSR is the favorite of a lot of people because of the thing thats can be found there, the key is to go slow and low.

it would be good to do a lot of independent reading and looking at photos of already identified things.

learn to recognize water-worn things. why is a stone or bone smooth and rounded on what should be broken, sharp edges? has it been transported some distance and tumbled and rounded by hitting against other rocks in water? when you find crystals, use search functions online to look at different crystals and try to figure out what they are and how they formed. why do i believe your crystals are yellow calcite and you believe they're sulfur? where are the two minerals normally found? what crystal shapes do they take? how can you tell them apart?

start reading on geology and learn what things tend to be found where. that will eliminate many things from your identifications, because some things just normally can't be naturally found in some places.

lots of info is on the internet. as for the "value" of the things you're finding - that's entirely up to you. there are people who believe that a true value is the highest dollar amount one person somewhere on the planet is willing to pay. to me the value is how happy i was to find it and how interesting or cool it is and whether my son was with me and if we had a good day...

There are alot of post from alot of people that have found things at the NSR, on the forum here. Go through the post, look at the things they have found to get an idea as to what to look for, that might help you to ID things from there.

lots of info is on the internet. as for the "value" of the things you're finding - that's entirely up to you. there are people who believe that a true value is the highest dollar amount one person somewhere on the planet is willing to pay. to me the value is how happy i was to find it and how interesting or cool it is and whether my son was with me and if we had a good day...

Very well said Tracer the best answer to value I ever read may I use it in the future

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

"may I use it in the future"

of course - once i put anything online, it belongs to the world...

"may I use it in the future"

of course - once i put anything online, it belongs to the world...

I just sold that quote for $100. Now that's value! :D