One "snail" Of A Find!

Evans

This past weekend found me and my young one out in the Central Texas Glen Rose once more. My daughter had a great time with a fabulous gastropod she discovered (more on that in a later post).

I need some help with the "worm-like" cast before I consider trying to do any work on it, I'm not sure what else if anything may be attached at either end of this thing.

Thanks,

Brian

post-526-1242069758_thumb.jpg

post-526-1242069778_thumb.jpg

post-526-1242069798_thumb.jpg

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

I find those giant guys all over the place in Dripping Springs and Wimberely--but I don't know for sure what their technical name is. I think he is a Lanatia pedernalia, though

Which is bigger, the smile or the snail. Nice finds, it is cool you can spend time with your daughter having fun with fossils. Sorry, no ID for the worm like thing. My guess would be a trace fossil of some kind, perhaps a burrow that has been filled...in the same fashion as the gastropods you found.

Nice echie, Brian. I got a few of those big gastropods back in the early 80's. I was smiling, too. Looks a lot like a burrow. If you extract it, it may crumble. Look at it at 5 or 10X and see if you can see any tiny fossils, shell fragments, etc. in it.

Cool stuff Brian,

I'll be up with the family last weekend of the month (week after Memorial Day) if you want to do some hunting up near New Braunfels!

The gastropod is great - I found some similar ones west of SA, but none came out nearly that clean.

Good stuff!

Owen

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Nice echie, Brian. I got a few of those big gastropods back in the early 80's. I was smiling, too. Looks a lot like a burrow. If you extract it, it may crumble. Look at it at 5 or 10X and see if you can see any tiny fossils, shell fragments, etc. in it.

Brian, I agree with atropicallondon & MikeD on the "burrow". Your daughter's smile is definitely bigger than the Tylostoma. Is that a Coenholectypus hiding in there?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Beautiful daughter and nice finds.

Thanks for all the kinds words, and I agree it does appear to be some type of burrow.

Owen, let me know when your in the area and I'm sure we can work something out.

John, that is most certainly a Coenholectypus tucked away under that dirt, the fourth I've found at this particular site.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.