Rudist Reef!

BobC

Hey Everybody! I bought a new digital camera a few months ago and wasn't good with it until now--and I've taken some shots of a portion of a rudist reef I sort of discovered outside of Austin. It really is a beautiful glimpse into ancient sea-life in this area during the Cretaceous. Hope you enjoy these pics!

post-1290-1242092019_thumb.jpg

Rudist are really neat, you have to show me this place sometime, though I don't go near Austin too many roads :blink:

Dangit--I keep trying to upload closeups and something's going wrong. I frikkin hate this wireless connection!!

Neat! I love samples of the seafloor/reefs. Really gives you a view of the ecosystem.... well, after it's dead that is. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wow that is great looking stuff.. You might want to think about getting some nice pieces of it for trading :D

I so far haven't traded ro sold anything although I am mailing a box of Texas fossils to one of our English posters this week for free, But GOOD GOD--I took the stupid little 4 lb package to Pak Mail yesterday and they said it would cost almost $90 to mail it to England--so I am going to have to go to the post office instead. I had no idea mailing things overseas was so expensive!

...I bought a new digital camera a few months ago and wasn't good with it until now--and I've taken some shots of a portion of a rudist reef I sort of discovered outside of Austin...

I love reefs (and seafloor hash, and complicated associations)! Thanks for the great pics :)

Keep practicing with the camera (not to say you need the practice, I just want to see more pics...) :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a video of my "catch" of the weekend:

That is a great catch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mommabetts! Pat I can show you that reef anytime you want to come down--and it's not in Austin, it's north of Austin so you can avoid all the traffic.

Awesome finds! Im coming down that way this summer to hang with Traviscounty, maybe we can meet up and do some hunting around the Austin area. Good luck with that camera, Im still trying to figure mine out as well.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks Mommabetts! Pat I can show you that reef anytime you want to come down--and it's not in Austin, it's north of Austin so you can avoid all the traffic.

That sounds great!!!!!! I really love to collect the shells and would love to go there. Thanks