Last Trip To Whiskey Bridge For The Year--and A Tragic Tale!

silverphoenix

Well I went out to Whiskey Bridge for the last time before it cools down again. The heat was blistering today, even with cloud cover! Way too hot to dig--I only managed to stay out for and hour and a half today before I nearly keeled over XD

First with the sad news: I found the following shark tooth:

CIMG3522.jpg

CIMG3523.jpg

THEN, right after I went to put it in a bottle, I dropped it!!!!!!!!!! @(*&()&)@&$&$@(*$ I spent about 20 minutes trying to find it without luck--I searched that dirt well and it had dropped straight down--I don't know what the heck happened to it....if anyone finds it, please return it!

Here's everything else I found:

CIMG3521.jpg

CIMG3520.jpg

CIMG3519.jpg

CIMG3518.jpg

Fish jaw!!!!!

CIMG3524.jpg

CIMG3525.jpg

CIMG3526.jpg

Best invertebrate find of the day: Coral attached to shell:

CIMG3528.jpg

CIMG3529.jpg

CIMG3527.jpg

Best vertebrate find of the day (and overall best find today), a nice size fish jaw--and the second one I've found. They're Very hard to come by!

CIMG3530.jpg

CIMG3531.jpg

CIMG3532.jpg

Last picture shows grooves for teeth--picture taken after it was repaired---in-situ picture of the two halves is near the top.

Overall, not a bad trip...just a very frustrating one loosing that tooth though...

Sorry to hear about the loss of the tooth. Looks like you still had a good time and found some nice stuff.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Looks like you had some nice finds. Sorry to hear about the dropped tooth. I've had that happen. You know it couldn't have gone far, but you just can't find it. I generally collect at Calvert Cliffs, so there I'll see a tooth and a wave will come up and wash it away before I can snatch it up.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Love the pictures from the site itself. Thanks. That place would definitely be on my hit list if I were only closer... It will just have to wait for my lottery win.

I fret to think how many fossils I've lost in my yard........

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I fret to think how many fossils I've lost in my yard........

I think I know where I'm going next! :P

Nice finds Chase. Is that the same lens that we were digging?

It sure is the same lens :D haha the rest of it is yours to dig--just try to go in the mornings and evenings because it is getting HOT out there and even for my age, I couldn't stand it more than a couple hours. My car guage said 103 degrees when I left yesterday around 4...

I tried digging in my usual spot, but it looks like I dug it all out because after a few inches the lens pinched off and I found nothing there but a conus... The new one I showed you goes back who knows how far though and it should yield some good stuff--just make sure to knock off the overhang because it kept falling on me since it's now tried out and crumbly...

I'm pretty hard core when it comes to the heat. I have to go when I can so I tough it out as much as I can. Lot's of water, gatorade, sunscreen, hat, etc. I agree early is better.

BobC, we'll have to give you the nickel tour one of these days.

I'm pretty hard core when it comes to the heat. I have to go when I can so I tough it out as much as I can. Lot's of water, gatorade, sunscreen, hat, etc. I agree early is better.

BobC, we'll have to give you the nickel tour one of these days.

haha yeah I did all of that--the sun just heats you up like crazy--my mistake was digging during the middle of the day. I'm thinking of bringing one of those beach umbrellas next time because it's hot in the shade, but it's MUCH hotter in the sun! Plus I figure I look crazy already and a giant umbrella won't add much lol :D

First with the sad news: I found (a) shark tooth:THEN, right after I went to put it in a bottle, I dropped it!!!!!!!!!! @(*&()&)@&$&$@(*$ I spent about 20 minutes trying to find it without luck--I searched that dirt well and it had dropped straight down--I don't know what the heck happened to it...

Did you check your pant cuffs and in among your boot laces?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So many fossils have jumped out of my hands back into the river, that I am too nervous to hold anybody's find if they're asking for an ID. That's my line when I'm in mid chest deep water..."You hold your find and show it to me, I don't want to touch it."

I hate it when I drop a tooth and cant find it again. Better luck next time! It was hot today down on the Sulphur as well.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'