Aurora Megs & Mojo

tokashikibob

Man, you just can’t beat getting a last minute lucky slot to Aurora! I’ve been waiting for quite awhile for another crack at the Super Bowl of fossil hunts and finally the day came where I was able to fill in for a cancellation. For me, one the highlights is being able to meet pretty fossil friends Pat Young, Becky Hyne & Buff Wapple and everyone’s favorite amateur Paleo-Master George Powell! Unfortunately Goosebumps was also there to slam his bad-luck mojo on me.

The East Coasters and I were pretty pumped to find some Megs as the pit has not been hit hard this year due to cancellation washouts. So footprints on some of the more distant areas were pretty rare. Weather conditions were perfect for a fossil hunt, plus this time I had plenty of water on hand, a lesson learned from the past!

The first good score was a sweet large black Great White tooth in perfect shape. I knew it was a nice piece and rare from Aurora and this was confirmed when Pat wanted a picture for the elasmo web site. www.elasmo.com After a bit, I started to dig a small Yorktown hill that had some big whale bones littering the bottom. After a few shovel stokes I happened to glance behind me and see the tip of the blade of a beautiful tan Meg staring at me outta the hill. The uplifting feeling of a successful score started to wash over me, and I decided to take a picture of the tooth before pulling it out. The only question in my mind was 4 or 5 inches.

After taking a picture of the tooth, I gingerly started to pull the tooth loose and BAM! It was out! As I stared in disbelief at the fossil, my mind soon grasped the thought that Goosebumps and his dammed mojo screwed me again!

However, all was not lost. After returning to the bus, I show George my ricker box with today’s finds and he wanted to see the Meg tip. After handing the fossil George stated “ This is a good find, much better than just a broken tooth.”

Oh yeh, what do you mean? I asked.

“Well, see how it’s sheared, this tooth was bitten off by the shark as he was feeding.” The only thing hard enough to shear of this tip is another tooth”. George went on to say.

So hey, it wasn’t such a disappointment! I’ll probably never find another sheared tooth, but I do plan on finding more Megs!

Later,

Bob aka MakoBoy

East Coast Fossil Club

Okinawarelics.com

post-718-1242140905_thumb.jpg

post-718-1242140915_thumb.jpg

post-718-1242140927_thumb.jpg

post-718-1242140942_thumb.jpg