Vert Id Help

Traviscounty

looks medium-size mammalian, so i find myself thinking deerishly, but don't know. if it isn't really old, and i agree that it isn't, then you just start ruling out various modern stuff. like too big for ferret, too small for elephant...

I'm gonna say bison based on the heart shape of the large portion, but I'm not an expert.

Not sure if it is Bos or Bison but I am fairly certain you are dealing with a lumbar vertebrae of one of the two. The flat shape of the articular process (unless it is worn) may point to it being Bison. A dorsal view would probably seal the verdict. Post a pic from directly above if you can.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

...you just start ruling out various modern stuff. like too big for ferret, too small for elephant...

Now that's funny!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Thanks TC,

Looking at the first picture that you posted I am going to say Bison. The notch at the top of the picture (neural arch) in Bison is more of a "V" shape and Bos has more defined "U" shape. Your vert definitely has the V-shaped presentation.

Thanks for the link Tracer, loads of good stuff.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Thanks for the help guys, and the link Tracer. I new it was too big for a ferret. ;)