Coprolite Or Just Goofy Looking Rock?

shorty

Ok, don't laugh!

This has been hanging around our house for years. Kids laugh cuz it looks like dog poop. Could it really be a coprolite?

It was found in Woodstock, Illinois on a hill where we usually find corals, shells and crinoid fragments. I don't have any info about the age of the rocks there. I think they're all hills left by the glaciers.

post-1206-1242359576_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1242359599_thumb.jpg

post-1206-1242359655_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help!

I have no idea, but if it looks like poop and makes people laugh I say keep it! You can always use it for a door stop.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

any bones or feathers sticking out?

Nothing's really 'sticking out'. It's pretty smooth. there are a couple little round circular outlines - like the size of the head of a pin, but I can't get a clear picture of them. lots of little lines & air bubble looking spaces.

That's been this rock's whole purpose of being at our house! It sits by the front sidewalk and everyone goes, "Eww, that rock looks like poop!" :)

Shorty ..........You could fool me to with that......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I like what you THINK it is better than what it PROBABLY is... a weathered piece of Limestone. The small pinhead sized objects are probably fossils, maybe of coral or crinoids. If it fizzes when you put vinegar on it, it might be a redne... oops... a Limestone.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

If the small pinhead sized objects are seeds, then it is a sign of a high fiber diet. ;)

I tried the vinegar on the back. couldn't see fizzing, but when I rinsed it off it left a clean spot - so I guess that's a yes?

I tried the vinegar on the back. couldn't see fizzing, but when I rinsed it off it left a clean spot - so I guess that's a yes?

Sounds like it, unless you just never rinsed the back of the rock off before now. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest N.AL.hunter

Limestone test: It is best to usually scratch the area to be tested first, then apply the vinegar to the scratched area to see if it fizzes. You want an un-weathered surface for your test. If it does, it is limestone, if it doesn't, but adding the vinegar to the powder produces fizzing, it might be dolomite. The added Magnesium in dolomite doesn't allow it to fizz as easily as limestone.

looks pretty crappy to me... wink

^_^

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

Thanks to everyone for all the crappy replies! ;)

I haven't had a chance to test if it's dolomite vs. limestone yet. But if it is either one of those, does that mean it's unlikely to be a coprolite?

Thanks!

Guest solius symbiosus

Since the area in which it was found is Ordovician, and Silurian, it is almost certainly not a coprolite. Dolostone forms during diagenisis of carbonates, so that would have no bearing, but I don't think the rock is dolostone, any that I have seen looks different, i.e., sugary texture, and yellowish color.

It is just a weathered stone.

Perfect!

Thanks for the answer! I'll call it a conversation piece and not send it to show and tell as dino poop!