See What I Found! Im Just Good Like That!

barefootgirl

Okay, so the weather pretty much sucked this whole week and I didn't find much on Wed, but today I was finally able to get down into some creeks and do some hunting with Traviscounty. We didn't have much luck at the first two sites and decided to part ways and meet up again tomorrow south of Dallas. On my way home from Gober, TX I came across this little creek that looked prime for hunting and I had this feeling that something good was waiting on me down there. So, being the adventurous sort that I am, I hoped right down there and started searching. Wow, what a little treasure hunt it turned out to be.

post-1082-1242437112_thumb.jpg

This is the only thing resembling a tooth that Travis found today.

post-1082-1242436282_thumb.jpg post-1082-1242436336_thumb.jpg

This looks like a bone that had its marrow replaced by calcite. Im not sure though.

post-1082-1242436455_thumb.jpg post-1082-1242436597_thumb.jpg

I found a lot of big bones down in this creek.

post-1082-1242436678_thumb.jpg post-1082-1242436744_thumb.jpg

Two of the bigger ones I found.

post-1082-1242436791_thumb.jpg post-1082-1242437027_thumb.jpg

I found this little green jar in the first creek we stopped in. The broken tooth actually came from Wed when i went hunting with the boys.

post-1082-1242437063_thumb.jpg

I also found this Xfish tooth and a remnant of another tooth on Wed.

Oh, and I almost forgot the find of the day and the month for me. HE HE HE

post-1082-1242437253_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1242437174_thumb.jpg

I almost cried when I saw it. Ive been wanting to find a pink arrowhead forever.

post-1082-1242441147_thumb.jpg

that point made up for finding this on wed

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I guess you are just good like that :P

Good luck with the ID on those bones-halfbones-fossils

Turok1copy.png

Nice finds BFG!!! :D Glad you got that point you wanted :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Great finds girl.That pink spearpoint is totally cool.Also that X-Fish tooth is absoluteley killer and has a great tip.

How does Monday sound?? :D

Wow, looks like you can really FEEL where the finds are! If I ever make it back to TX, I want to hunt with you! Beautiful finds...

Oh and that one point made up for finding this on Wed.

post-1082-1242440564_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Great finds girl.That pink spearpoint is totally cool.Also that X-Fish tooth is absoluteley killer and has a great tip.

How does Monday sound?? :D

Sounds great! Call me on Sunday and well make plans to tear up the Sulphur here at Paris.

Alfred North Whithead

That thing with the calcite looks kind of like the base of Snake keepers big mosasaur tooth. I've found X-fish jaw pieces that have the same kind of calcite crystals running through them where the teeth used to be. I'll have to see if I have a picture.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

That thing with the calcite looks kind of like the base of Snake keepers big mosasaur tooth. I've found X-fish jaw pieces that have the same kind of calcite crystals running through them where the teeth used to be. I'll have to see if I have a picture.

I was actually looking at it earlier and it looks like it has enamel around the calcite piece. Any help or info on this find would be greatly appreciated.

Alfred North Whithead

Your right it does look like the base where a tooth should be.

Cool stuff - can't wait to find out if that is a jaw fragment. And if so, from what.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Awesome finds, BFG.... Your instincts are very good.

I probably should know but don't. What tooth is that in your first pic?

The arrowhead is most cool....

Welcome to the forum!

I was actually looking at it earlier and it looks like it has enamel around the calcite piece. Any help or info on this find would be greatly appreciated.

barefootgirl,

What a haul! I think Ramo (Bowkill) is right; your find appears to be the "root" of a large mosasaur tooth. The calcite filled a hollow cavity in the inner core of the tooth. Your 2nd pic shows the remnant of the replacement tooth "pocket" on the side. A tip of the hat to your finds....

post-420-1242449720_thumb.jpgpost-420-1242449869_thumb.jpg

Is your first pic of a partial fish vert and process?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Awesome finds, BFG.... Your instincts are very good.

I probably should know but don't. What tooth is that in your first pic?

The arrowhead is most cool....

The thing in the first pict is what we call a distracterite or you might know it as a leverite. A distracterite is when someone hands you a piece of crud to look at, so as to distract you from the real hunt and thus giving your opponent the advantage of finding more than you.

It was a piece of wood.

Alfred North Whithead

Cool Stuff!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Looks like you did it again, great finds :o

I would love to find any colour of point :rolleyes:

I guess I would have to look some where

other than in the badlands