I’m fascinated and excited to know that there is a Cretaceous belt in TN! I was just in TN too :DOH: Although I don’t like bushwhacking in a foreign state without preparation :)

Does anyone know what age of the Cretaceous it is, or if there was any more scientific resolution to the mystery of the bone locality?

Southwestern TN has a lot of Cretaceous localities.

The Cretaceous in Tennessee is all Late Cretaceous: Santonian, Campanian, and Maastrichtian.  The best known and most fossiliferous formations (Ripley, Owl Creek, and Coon Creek) are marine, and Campanian to early Maastrichtian.  However dinosaurs do occur in Late Cretaceous formations in Alabama and Mississippi as "bloat and float" remains, mostly isolated bones or a couple of articulated bones, although fairly complete skeletons of Appalachiosaurus and Eotrachodon have been found.  Similarly, dinosaurs could certainly occur in marine formations in Tennessee.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

On 7/4/2024 at 2:55 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

The rocks in Knoxville are at least 50 million years older than dinosaurs. They didn't exist yet when the rocks there were formed.

17202175209814549019145123637629.jpg

Just now, Ed Barger said:

You were saying?

And besides there's so many geological events that have taken place in the Appalachian mountain chain that it's hard to distinguish what came from where and how long it's been there undulations of Stone from the bottom of the ocean are at the top of mountains while volcanic remnants are scattered about in the form of obsidian and pumice stone

Rotate that picture left one time. And realize that I've only been cleaning the matrix away for a day

1 minute ago, Ed Barger said:

You were saying?

:headscratch:Your picture is not of a dinosaur fossil.

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

Rotate that picture left one time. And realize that I've only been cleaning the matrix away for a day

Pretty sure it's an Ankylosaurus 

Just now, Fin Lover said:

:headscratch:Your picture is not of a dinosaur fossil.

I would thank you to come and see my collection in person and eat your words. You have no clue what I found here but you would be beside yourself if you got the opportunity to take a look 

I'm walking to my dig site right now to show you the 15 footer this little guy is only about the size of a silver dollar and it's only the head in the picture above. But it is completely concretion preserved outer tissue mineralization

4 minutes ago, Ed Barger said:

I would thank you to come and see my collection in person and eat your words. You have no clue what I found here but you would be beside yourself if you got the opportunity to take a look 

People are not likely going to visit a stranger to inspect your pieces in hand. What you need to do instead is take them to your local university earth sciences department or natural history museum for them to give you their professional opinion.

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, Kane said:

People are not likely going to visit a stranger to inspect your pieces in hand. What you need to do instead is take them to your local university earth sciences department or natural history museum for them to give you their professional opinion.

I already have three specimens confirmed at the University of Tennessee natural History and our sciences department of paleontology. Which is a top-ranked paleontological University.

7 minutes ago, Ed Barger said:

I swear they must obligatorily place creationists in these websites to instantly discredit every single thing that someone posts

1 minute ago, Ed Barger said:

I swear they must obligatorily place creationists in these websites to instantly discredit every single thing that someone posts

That is false, not to mention fallacious reasoning. I will ask you to tone down the attitude and keep in compliance with Forum rules to respect civil discourse. Thank you for your cooperation. 

The key thing to remember here is that the East Tennessee area is in the Tennessee River valley which is an alluvial field to all of the glaciers that once slid down from Canada during the last ice age. So it is possible that these are deposited from glacial slides which is well after both the dinosaurs roamed, and died 

Hi,

Would we be happy to know the names of the scientists who determined them ?

Insinuating that we are creationists is wrong and very disrespectful ! Here is a scientific forum ! Do not confuse...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 minute ago, Kane said:

That is false, not to mention fallacious reasoning. I will ask you to tone down the attitude and keep in compliance with Forum rules to respect civil discourse. Thank you for your cooperation. 

Oh that wasn't aimed at anyone just at the general idea of discreditation upon seeing one picture. It seems a little cut and dried don't you think?

Entertaining doubt is part of the scientific method, so a claim that the cause of doubt was creationists (on our science-based forum) is erroneous reasoning, no? 

Perhaps you might start a thread with your confirmed finds. That might be very informative to our membership. 

I will happily admit when I am wrong, so can you show us pictures of the items that were verified by the University and what they were identified as?  

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

I haven't spoken with her directly but Stephanie Drumheller of the University of Tennessee is supposedly who is looking over my fossils. As I called to ask since they've been there for a couple of weeks, it seems as though her secretary is confirming that they are continuing research on them because they are believed to be true specimens

1 minute ago, Fin Lover said:

I will happily admit when I am wrong, so can you show us pictures of the items that were verified by the University and what they were identified as?  

I'll be happy too when I receive them back they're still undergoing cleaning and study

I'll be happy too when I receive them back they're still undergoing cleaning and study

Something for us to look forward to! :) 

I actually had my phone stolen over the last couple of weeks so the pictures that I had of the ones that I turned into UT or in a phone that was coincidentally stolen. I'm actually on my way to get another phone on my account so that I can access the email back up that has those photos saved